Author Topic: Help finding Value of an old camp wood cook stove - Joesting & Schilling  (Read 3017 times)

chosos

• View Profile
What is it?:
Joesting & Schilling 235 Range

Size and dimensions of this item:
Its around 6 feet long by 3 feet deep by 3 feet tall.

History:
The stove was installed by the original logging crew at our Northern Michigan Hunt Camp during the early 1900's. The original camp burned down in the 50's and this was the only item that survived, completely in tact.

This is an old Joesting & schilling wood stove model 235. I found various documents on the 230 series, but nothing on the 235. It has multiple burners and some of the documentation I found, indicated it might be an old commercial wood stove model for use in hotels. Since our cabin has bunks for 30, this would make sense.

The stove was painted silver about 25 years ago and has sat in the corner of our hunting cabin for the past 25 years unused... well, used as a table, instead of a stove. The paint should probably be blasted off and the stove restored. However, we're having conflicts within the camp as to what we should do with this item, unsure of its value.

I believe the stove is 100% complete. All burners and whatnot are there. All doors and latches work correctly. The metal is in good shape - albeit painted.

Any help at all would truly be appreciated, either as to the history, rarity, or value of this item. I believe it is an old "commercial" grade wood stove, which I think makes it slightly more rare.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:53:54 pm by chosos »

cogar

• View Profile
Being made of “wrought steel” and riveted together rather than forged of cast iron, ……. me thinks it was specifically built for “logging camp” use, probably in the 20’’s or 30’s.

I’m not sure of any retail value, even if reconditioned, because it is not a per say “decorator item”. A museum, historical society or another hunting lodge might be interested in acquiring it.

Just my opinion though.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
You are right cogar,....they made camp stoves.  This company specialized in camp stoves and then sold restaurant supplies from 1920's on as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

chosos

• View Profile
sorry, i was going off what someone at camp told me with it being cast iron. your explanation makes sense.

so they also made camp ranges? the documentation i found (brochure for a 230 series) was more along the lines of a commercial advertisement, but I don't read many of the old ads from that era, so it could very well have been marketed to a "camp" type crowd.

I was trying to save the piece due to its historic value. The members no longer want it in the cabin as it takes up a lot of space, and the camp now operates entirely off of propane. There was discussion of trying to break apart the stove with sledge hammers to remove it in pieces (since it will not fit through a door and nobody seems to want it). The only saving grace, was if there was some degree in resale value, to where it be worth it for someone to come and pick it up (even if we had to remove the door frame).

cogar

• View Profile
I think sledgehammers would just dent it up instead of busting it up.

Measure from the bottom below the oven and up to but not the top cooking surface to see if that measurement will "fit" thru the door.

The top cooking surface could very well be cast iron, but whatever, it is probably bolted on ...... as well as the legs might be.

Given said, by removing the legs and cooking surface it might fit thru doorway.

mart

• View Profile
Considering the cost of propane,, I would keep it !! You can buy more shells with the money you save if you use it !!  Plus it adds to the fun of hunting camps !! All the younger kids here had the job of gathering wood,,peeling potatoes keeping camp clean ect !!  Thats how they all learned to respect the camp and take care of it !!  There are more lessons to be taught than just hunting  !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
You just don't see these for sale.  I truly believe you could sell if on Craigs list if you could get it through the door!  However, I would keep it.  Cost saver in heating/cooking times and an extra table at times.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
I can smell a big pot of stew simmering,,,,, !!

chosos

• View Profile
I agree. I think it has a unique story, and would love to keep it in camp. I've never seen one of these up for sale, so I wouldn't even begin to know what to value it at, and then it becomes a logistical nightmare of getting someone with a trailer large enough to hall it miles off any named road, pretty much into the middle of nowhere. I appreciate all the help. I'm still not sure what kind of effort it'd take to break it apart, since its hammered steel. I'd hate to see them try to break it apart and have it just end up stuck in the camp all dented up.

mart

• View Profile
Well if it has been there for years and it isn`t in your way, leave it be !! Although the price if you sold it would likely be around $200. to $300. depending on area !! Your having to move it would not be the most fun part of a hunting trip !! I would think there would be a way for it to be taken apart without damaging it !!