Author Topic: 1800s jay c. wemple majestic self acting shade roller with shade  (Read 2031 times)

rsorgel

• View Profile
my house was built in 1880. every so often i get an urge to go "treasure hunting" in my basement and see what i can find. last time, i found some williams dentalactic tooth powder. this time i found this old shade roller and its shade. i was wondering if anyone could help me on the value of it. i did my research and couldnt find a comparable peice do it but did find a site with information on jay c wemple co. http://www.waltergrutchfield.net/wemple.htm. the site confirmed this shade is from the 1800s but still cant find a value. some of the very old paper is falling apart so some is missing but of what i can read, the reading on the lable is like this:

jay c. wemple co. brooklyn. new york - chicago. self acting majestic shade roller warranted to give entire satisfaction. fasten the brackets round hole to the right. be sure the roller works freely in the brackets. if the spring is too strong, take from brackets, unroll a few turns, then replace. use one oz. tacks. put the roller in the brackets with shade rolled up. if the spring is not strong enough, draw the.... thats all i can read

any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

not sure if theres even a market for this kind of stuff, but i still think its neat!

rsorgel

• View Profile
Re: 1800s jay c. wemple majestic self acting shade roller with shade
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:27 pm »
more pictures

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:59:50 pm »
There is a small market for it if someone is into window treatments and wants it for a display. It is a very small market I would surmise. It is the kind of thing where everyone would have the same reaction as you and say its neat but they would only look. It reminds me of the old movies when the shade would suddenly snap up revealing what the person behind it was doing. It is great to see and if I were you I would start a collection of the thing you find in that house, They are a window into its history. See if you can locate a old dumping area near the house and dig. They are usually out the back door and down hill. Unless the area around you was developed. Look for a depression in the ground or bits of broken glass on the surface. A metal detector will find interesting things to like old buttons, keys, coins and brass and copper objects.  History is so fascinating when you find pieces and start to connect them. You may even find a hidden gold coin or a gun. You never know. Enjoy your hunting

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:22:52 pm »
Ditto what Frogpatch said !!  The label is the part that is worth something,, not a lot maybe,, but like he said for a display it would be great !! I would be hunting that yard and outbuildings if it has any as well as the basement !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »
Frogpatch:  "You may find a hidden gold coin"

Well, for one glorious, exhilirating moment I thought I had found a gold double eagle as I brushed the black dirt off the pretty little artifact below.  Then I saw the holes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:15:55 pm »
Shucks Jondar !!  Guess you gotta keep looking !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:36:52 am »
I agree with frogpatch! These are the kinds of things everyone at the antique store picks up and ooos and ahhhs about because it's a cool piece of the past. But then they end up putting it back on the shelf because they really can't use it and have nowhere to really display it. It looks to be in great shape so it would look cool in someone's little primitive display or on a shelf in their house. I would imagine that the value is in the $20 range. Plus or minus a little. You're lucky to have an old house with cool treasures!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:38:51 am by hosman321 »