Author Topic: Antique Pullout Desk with Hidden Top....Value?  (Read 1141 times)

thewashman

• View Profile
Antique Pullout Desk with Hidden Top....Value?
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:15:30 pm »
Hello Everybody,

I am still new here and just posting a few things I have collected that I have no idea of the monetary or historical value. When you open the bowed lid on the front of the desk you can pull the front out and expose all the original utensils in place such as a carved wooden pencil holder on the left side and some kind wooden paper dividers as well a lot of storage slots, and it allows you to unfold the writing board. When you pull out the right drawer on the front and slide your hand inside palm up there is a wood button that release the weighted hidden top compartments. The side shown in the picture has faux doors and the opposite side has real drawers. Hope I didn't over describe it  ;D. Thanks!!!

Note: At first I thought that one screw on each of the hinges were missing because they had fallen out but after looking they have never had screws there as shown in the pic by the wood grain being intact.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique Pullout Desk with Hidden Top....Value?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »
You've got a Davenport Desk! These were originally designed as space-saving desks to be used by captains at sea. They were designed by a sea captain. Inside you should have some heavy iron weights that enable the top to lift up, just like window sash weight inside a wall.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:31:46 pm »
Here is some info on Davenport desks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport_desk The screws on the hinges look good, they are manually slotted and individually made, not mass-produced, so it looks like your will turn out to be a 19th century piece and not a reproduction. It's a beauty! I love these desks! Let me see what I can find on value...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »
Here are several examples on Ebay with widely varying prices: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Furniture-/20091/i.html?_nkw=Antique+Davenport+Desk