Author Topic: Can Anyone ID This Vintage Print?  (Read 2114 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Can Anyone ID This Vintage Print?
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »
I Purchased this print a few days ago at the thrift store but as usual I can't find any information on it and I was hoping someone could help identify it for me (I know it's a long shot)?

The print is a black and white and I think it has a card board of some type backing which the print paper seems to be some what attached to but I'm not sure. The print looks too fragile to try and remove it from the frame.

The frame is 14 Inches Wide by 17 1/2 Inches Tall. The print is about 11 3/4 Inches Wide by about 15 Inches Tall. The glass in the frame has some waves in it so I'm thinking the print is late 1800's.

I actually saw this print last week in the thrift store but I was on the fence about buying it so I put it down then a man passed me in the store with it in his hand. I later saw it back on the shelf that day.

I went back into the thrift store a few days ago and an old lady had it in her cart and I commented how I liked it and almost bought it and she asked why I didn't and I told her I was on the fence about it and decided not to buy it.

The thrift store worker over heard our conversation and when the Lady went to check out at the register I think she didn't have an ID to pay by check or something so the thrift store worker took the print and walked over and put it in my cart.

I thought, this is destiny so I went ahead and purchased the print. Since I don't know the actual name of the print for now I am calling it "Destiny".

Does anyone have any clues or ideas as to what the name of the print is and who it was by? Also, what time period would this have been made and perhaps a ball park value?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="714" height="1936" border="0
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:30:35 am by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can Anyone ID This Vintage Print?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:04 am »
First thing I would do is get it out of the frame and see if its stuck to the cardboard !! It was usually not when first done but could have stuck if damp ect. That cardboard is not acid free !! It may have had color but has deteriorated from the backing !! Take a pair of needlenose pliers and pull the tacks out straight. If its stuck you can put it back easily.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:48:18 am »
Thanks mart. I think I'm going to leave removing it from the frame for a rainy day. Just too many nails in this one. I'm surprised they used so many, I don't think you would see anything like that today.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:32:33 am »
Just take care that the print is not adhered to the glass which happens sometime !!  If they don`t separate easily just leave them alone and put it back in the frame !!  I use a butter knife to press the nails/tacks back in,,just give them a little press !!   It may have a name on the bottom of the print that is covered by the frame !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:32:42 am »
The name of your print is "Simplicity". (I guess it's old age that it took 2 days for me to remember it.)

http://www.art-prints-on-demand.com/a/reynolds-sir-joshua/simplicity-a-portrait-of.html

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:44 am »
Wow Rauville I can't believe you found it, thanks! The print sure looks a lot better in color! I think mart was right that the copy I have once had color!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:11:15 am by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:49 am »
Gives information on the artist and when it was done and who it is too !!  Excellent Rauville !!  It didn`t ring a bell with me !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:46 am »
Rauville.....once again showing your amazing skills!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!