Author Topic: Chinese Goldfish Ginger Jar Signature and Value Help???  (Read 2099 times)

jumpontopski

• View Profile
Chinese Goldfish Ginger Jar Signature and Value Help???
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »
Hello all-

My wife picked up this ginger jar this weekend at an estate sale and we are having trouble identifying this piece. We have looked for the signature at www.artistssignatur es.com with no luck. We found a pair of similar jars with a reverse color scheme that went for around $1200. Other than that we have not been able to identify this piece.

Any help someone could give us would be appreciated.

James

mart

• View Profile
Re: Chinese Goldfish Ginger Jar Signature and Value Help???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:27:31 pm »
Appears to be transferware so not particularly old !! Is there a cut out on the lid similar to the one on the inside rim ??  What size is the jar ??  Looks like a pretty modern condiment jar unless its really big !!  Those seals on bottom are not artists signatures usually, they normally tell the region where the jar was made and are still used today in some regions. !!

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:04:15 pm »
Appears to be transferware so not particularly old !! Is there a cut out on the lid similar to the one on the inside rim ??  What size is the jar ??  Looks like a pretty modern condiment jar unless its really big !!  Those seals on bottom are not artists signatures usually, they normally tell the region where the jar was made and are still used today in some regions. !!

There is no cutout on the lid...either it is damage or it was done on purpose to pour liquid out.

The dimensions are 10" from tip of handle on lid to base of jar. It is also 10" wide and 32" in circumference. The opening is 3.5"

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:28:15 pm »
Would be too large for a condiment jar !!

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 06:32:02 pm »
What are your thoughts if it is not a condiment jar?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:04:47 pm »
I'd guess perhaps a daikon (pickle) or cracker jar .... could be used for storing &/or serving .
Also guess that whatever it held was not a hot (temp) item(s) .

Not familiar with the mark , except to say the one on the lower left of the four is "tokusei" , meaning any of the following depending on contex - special made , specially made , painted .

I'm 100% certain that yours is NOT an Eiraku (as you'd mentioned seeing a pair w/reversed colors) item , dang it !

Pretty sure yours is 20th century !

Wish I knew more to tell you , but a native &/or skilled speaker/reader of the Japanese lang. would tell you in a sec (as to what the mark 'says') !

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »
I think its purely decorative, likely 70`s or after !!  There are so many styles of ginger jars most of which were made for sale here just as home dec. items not to be used for food ect !! If you have an oriental market near you,, take it to them and see if they can read the mark !! Normally it only tells where it was made not who made it !!

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:09 am »
I may be able to find someone at my work to read the marking on the bottom. Thanks for everyones help. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. I have another ginger jar that I have been sitting on for about 6 months now because I can't figure it out either...might post that one this week as well.