Author Topic: Hitching Post Top  (Read 12673 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Hitching Post Top
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »
My husband says you would use a nickel rod to weld that, but he thought they were castings that are sealed together. If you had to fix it now he would use a monster glue. Any type of welding you would have to do reshaping.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 12:45:41 am »
So sorry for the late reply! The one that is split open a little is two pieces welded together with little welds on the inside. The welds are still intact. They are definitely both cast in molds, they just both have very different manufacturing techniques so I think one or both are repros! The first, solid head just has dust on it regjoe, no paint traces at all. It's just hard to get dust out of the sand casting without getting it wet. When that one gets wet, it rusts very easy! I was thinking about testing the one with white paint for lead but then I realized that a lot of repros were being made in the 70s and lead paint was used until the 70s. And plus, if they are from some questionable factory in China, they are probably still using lead paint these days.

I applied for tickets to the Roadshow and will know day after tomorrow if I got tickets. I was thinking about taking these just so that maybe they can tell me how to spot repro cast iron in the future and to settle my nerves about these two! I'd get to take 4 items, so I'd have to find two other things to take. I still didn't take more pictures of them, I completely forgot! I will soon.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:27 pm »
I hope you get the tickets. My husband and I went and had a great time. I guess that why we galvanized everything now. My husband worked in a forge for many years. I bet if we did research on blacksmiths back then they wouldn't have lived long lives because of the graphite. It's very interesting. My husband has done a lot of historical restoration on buildings in Old Philadelphia. He would have to see them better. My brother in law owned the company he worked for then. They've been around for 100 yrs. or more. They just bought out Yellen. I don't know if I spelled that right, lol. They had one of their lamps, $$$. They are very familiar with these things, but Antique Roadshow is much better ;D lol
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 01:38:44 pm »
If you don't get tickets in the Roadshow lottery, look on Craiglist. People often enter the lottery in hope of getting tickets to resell.
Antiqueaholic in recovery