Author Topic: Identify old wooden chairs  (Read 978 times)

scottyf11

• View Profile
Identify old wooden chairs
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:54:42 pm »
Hello!

I am very excited to have found this forum.  I spent a good amount of time reading some threads and I commend the community on their knowledge!  My wife's grandmother passed away last year and we have been selling off some of her belongings for my wife's parents.  I know a decent amount about some collectibles but I know absolutely nothing about furniture.  We have a few old pieces that I would like to sell, but I don't want to be taken advantage of.  Right now I am trying to sell some old chairs, and I put them on craigslist without doing any research.  Someone ended up offering me $140.00 for these chairs and I'm not sure if its a good deal.  I think the dark ones are pressed back and the light one is a cane seat but other than that I have no clue about the year or wood or value.  Could anyone give me a little insight?  Thanks in advance!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Identify old wooden chairs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:21:35 pm »
Are there 4 chairs total in different styles?  Pics are very dark so can`t see detail well.  If you can get them in better light I could tell more. Does the last one have an applique or is it an inlay ?? Offhand and just from what I can see, looks like the chairs are from the 20`s or 30`s , Perhaps a bit earlier but can`t see enough to be sure !! And are odd side chairs that possibly went with a dining table at one time. Did your grandmother just sort of collect them,, someone had an extra chair they didn`t need or couldn`t use so they gave them to her? Or were they part of sets that she once had ??

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Identify old wooden chairs
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:44:02 pm »
Take the offer. That's a fair price for what I see. It looks as if you have 3 matching chairs that need cane seats (turn those that have the pressed fiber seats over and check for caning holes), plus one odd chair. Most of those chairs were made  from ash or oak.