Author Topic: Vintage Pottery Vase / Planter Identity?  (Read 3394 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Pottery Vase / Planter Identity?
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:50:46 am »
This is a recent purchase of a Vintage Ceramic Pottery Vase or Planter that I can't find in network searches and I can't make out the information on the bottom of the Vase.

The Vase is very nicely made and it's light and thin (the photo images don't do it justice here). It's Yellow with raised Gold Flakes for the Design which includes a Floral design encompassing it. It also has by design crazing or crackling on it under the glaze not within it. There are 3 Kiln stand marks on the Vase's bottom.

The Vase is about 5 Inches in Height, 7 1/2 Inches in Width and the Base is about 4 1/4 Inches Wide.

I've tried to do image enhancements and rubbings on the bottom of the vase to try and make out what it says but it's just too blurry.

I was wondering if anyone recognizes the Maker, Potter and/or Artist of the Vase and also perhaps the Vintage. I was thinking it's possibly vintage 1960's or 1970's.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="768" height="1708" border="0

aDawn

Re: Vintage Pottery Vase / Planter Identity?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:29:00 am »
Where did you get it? What part of the country?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »
Just took a quick glance,, didn`t see all the pics but will later !! That is a crackle finish not crazing from age !! Its a special tecnique that is used !! Will look closer later !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »
aDwan, it was from a thrift store in the Washington DC area.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:24:56 am »
Bump. Sorry for the bump, I usually don't do this but I just wanted to know if *anyone* had any guesses as to what the the writing on the bottom might say? The writing pattern along the bottom rim and blurred numbers or letters in the center seem to me to indicate a production house piece but the work on the vase does not (I think it's better than the usual production house piece and unique). Any guesses or keywords to use in searches would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:32:31 am »
You could try taking a piece of paper and put it on the bottom of the pot and then use a pencil and rub the bottom and see what comes up.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:46 am »
thanks greenacres for the suggestion. I did try that but the impression or imprint of the letters and/or numbers was too subtle to make out anything.

aDawn

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:14:02 am »
The only thing I can maybe make out is something like CICC? Or _ _ C C...Is that what it looks like to you?

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:59:42 am »
aDawn, that's the frustrating thing about this vase, I see so many possibilities that every time I look at it I see different letters and numbers. I thought in the center it might be C366 but then I see other things.

I thought it might be a piece from California Pottery at first but I think it's too thin for one of their pieces. This vase is so unique in style it should jump right out from somewhere. It's also very nicely made in technique and artistically. This was made by someone with a lot of experience in my opinion.

I think the lettering imprinted on the bottom is so shallow because the vase is so thin and the paint, finish and glaze filled the imprint in too much to make it legible.

aDawn

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:19:27 am »
Hmm I'm stumped haha. It's hard to go search when you don't know what you're searching for ???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »
Hey Kevin !! You got any red or purple kool aid ?? Food coloring, anything like that ??  If you do mix a tablespoon of water with enough kool aid to get a pretty good color !! Then use an eyedropper or something and put a drop on each letter, one at a time !! It will go to the low places and you might be able to see what is raised,, or the opposite if its an impressed stamp !! Then write each letter or what part you can make out in line on paper and maybe we can get enough letters to figure out something !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:19:31 pm »
Hey mart, that was a great idea! I modified your idea a bit and used liquid car wax and put blue die in it. Using an eye dropper may have worked better but it seemed too surgical to me. Although dripping black or a dark colored candle wax may work too. Then just shave the top layer of wax off.

Anyways, here's the results, I used a piece of firm card board to remove the excess wax when it was still a bit wet but hit a kiln stand mark on the first word and muffed it a bit. The last word on the bottom I am fairly certain is USA, the others I am still unsure about.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="537" height="800" border="0