Author Topic: Location in Berlin?  (Read 1319 times)

Athenry

• View Profile
Location in Berlin?
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »
I bought this photo from a person who claimed they bought it from old Soviet soldier who said it is a German Panzer tank, the photo was taken at Berlin when they captured it.

I've looked into it and it's definitely a real photograph from that time.

I know it's very, very far-fetched. But can anyone identify any of the buildings? Is it really Berlin?

Athenry

• View Profile
Re: Location in Berlin?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »
For some reason it didn't show the full-sized image:

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »
FYI = Panzer (German) translates/means Tank in English.

Perhaps this forum can help you out - it is current with lots of history buffs on tanks/military!
http://www.armourworkshop.ca/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=2b617b18fa31ab2fff69f727c5508c8b
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »
That combination of PzkW-III (Panzerkampfwagen III) chassis with non-turret gun mounting represents a StuG-III (Sturmgeschuetz-III) a.k.a. "Sd.Kfz. 142" (not sure of the model, types "A" to "E" were made). Its roles were infantry support (light mobile artillery) and tank-hunter. A few of them were active around Berlin, so it's at least a possibility. Not sure about the building at the back; seems like one of the old towers normally found alongside railroad tracks - however my eyes are not the best ;)

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »
That tower almost appears to be the remains of a much larger structure.