Author Topic: The tale of Genji porcelain shells 54 pcs  (Read 2771 times)

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
The tale of Genji porcelain shells 54 pcs
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:07 am »
The tale of Genji porcelain shells 54 pcs

A friend is trying to sell this through me, but i have never come across items like this. It comes with all the documents and 54 porcelain colored shells. She paid $1,800. Please advice. Any information is helpful

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: The tale of Genji porcelain shells 54 pcs
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »
These are apparently a painted shell matching game. I think it is played like "Concentration" in the USA. All shells face down and mixed up on a table, turn over two at a time try to find matches and memorize where they are. Here is the Tale of Genji story that goes with them: http://www.taleofgenji.org/summary.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:22:05 pm »
Correction, here is how the game is played:
http://www.lizadalby.com/LD/TofM_shells.html

The way the game works is like this: The shells are separated into two piles, the ji-gai ("set shells") and dashi-gai ("played shells.") The ji-gai are arranged, face down, in a pattern of concentric circles; the dashi-gai, also face down, are put in rows, piled three or four shells deep. A player chooses one dashi-gai and moves it, face down, to the center of the circle of ji-gai. She then peruses all the ji-gai, looking for a match. Deciding on one shell, she picks up her original dashi-gai in her left hand and places it face up in her right hand with the shell hinge closest to her body.

She then picks up the ji-gai she has chosen and, without looking, slips it (face down) over the top of the shell she is holding. If it is in fact a match, it will click into place in the natural grooves of the shell, and the player will know by feel if it fits. If it does not fit, she returns the ji-gai to its place on the floor. If it does fit, she triumphantly shows the match to all the other players and claims the shells for her pile. In this case, everyone can immediately see by the matching paintings that she has in fact found a pair.

At first glance, the natural variations of stripes and colors on clamshells look pretty much alike, but when you look closely, there are minute and subtle variations. This is what the eye must attune itself to. Of all the shells, there is one, and only one, which will fit the grooves of its mate. It is easy to see how symbolism from the matching of shells became incorporated into felicitous wedding gifts.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:23:36 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »
talesofthesevenseas Any idea the cost of the entire set?

or where I can sell it

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:15:32 pm »
I saw antique shells selling for $370/pair. Can you provide more info about the set and I'll see what I can find. These are modern reproductions made in porcelain, right? Not antique natural shells?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:25:43 pm »
Looks like modern since Makoto Miyagi produced a vase for Franklin Mint in 1986.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 01:33:53 pm »
I would get in touch with the Tokugawa Art Museum. http://www.tokugawa-art-museum.jp/english/
This set was produced by them, probably something that was sold in their museum store. They would probably be a good authority to place a value on it. Once that is done, you might contact some art galleries or auction houses to discuss selling it. That is what I would do.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:06:29 pm »
As a side note, "The Tale of Genji" is among the oldest novels in the known world, and was written by an Imperial lady-in-waiting named Murasaki.  It is about a mischievous emperor's son who is reduced to a commoner, and has to become an officer at court.  It's a story of forbidden love, 11th century aristocratic Japanese life, and the Imperial court.  It rivals only "The Tale of the Heike" as one of the most beloved of the early works in Japanese literature.