Author Topic: I need "Patent Help" also  (Read 2595 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
I need "Patent Help" also
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »
I use these old sun glasses occasionally and am curious as to their history. I have never ran across another pair of this pattern.
The only marking is on the nosepiece, which is: Pat’d May 2, 1911
I can’t seem to find any patent information from that date relating to the design or style. I’m probably not following the proper search procedure.
Maybe one of you would have better luck than I. Thanks!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: I need "Patent Help" also
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »
First hit I got describes them as 'folding shooting glasses'.........still looking for that patent.  ;)

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-640471/antique-folding-shooting-glasses-eyeglasses-patent-may-21911.html

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:58:05 pm »
Don't know if the final product has to match the original drawings (which it doesn't) but here's a May 2, 1911 patent for folding shooting glasses.

http://www.google.com/patents/USRE13231?printsec=drawing&dq=eyeglass+frame+patent+May+2,+1911&ei=KZ_GT56SOMS46QGtrtinBg#v=onepage&q=eyeglass%20frame%20patent%20May%202%2C%201911&f=false

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »
Another description for them is driving glasses. (auto, carriage, etc)

My dad wore a similar pair when training standardbreds from the 30's through the early 70's. His included leather 'guards' on the sides similar to these.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:59:33 pm »
Thank you Sapphire;
I appreciate your help in finding what I couldn’t.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »
Cool old little item , Rauville !

I've never seen an identical frame as yours ... used to dispense eyeglasses , when going to college , & I've seen alot of em !

If you've got a small piece of polarized plastic & or glass , you might want to test the lenses to see if they are so ...

One odd thing about them is that they are sporting an eyewire/temple junction of pretty much identical manufacture as the ones patented by B&L (used on their 'P-2','P-3' & 'Liner' frames ), who were pretty much had the monopoly on quality eyeglasses for quite some time ....which makes me wanna scratch my head a little ....

The above B&L frames posted all had another sim problem as yours do ... the temples were rather thin , although made from hi-quality gold-fill , and would often break & bend a bunch .

On the plus side of things , due to the design of the eyewire & temple mounts , the lenses for this type of eyeware had to be fitted more exactly , since the whole assembly needs to be fitted flush to each other .
An eyeglass frame that has got 2 independant assembly units  (eyewire & temple hinge) is /can be  fitted much easier than your cool pair , Rauville !

One bottom line about eyeware : it should not have any long pointy metal parts adjacent to the eye of the wearer ... if I were going to sell , I'd include a safety disclaimer !

I'll poke around this/next week & see if i can also find nice pearls like sapphire did for these frames .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:45 pm »
NEAT GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow FancyPants....like your information!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:23:57 pm »
One company who made similar glasses was Willson (two l's). I ran across some ads from the 50's/60's

http://ezinearticles.com/?Vintage-Goggles---Making-a-Fashion-Statement-Out-of-Vintage-Safety-Goggles&id=702369

"The other manufacturer to be on the look out for is the American company, Willson. Still manufacturing safety goggles today, Willson has been in business since before World War I and their vintage military goggles are highly sought after by collectors. Willson produced a whole range of safety goggles, even ladies' motorcycle goggles, and if you see a pair of those on Ebay, grab them! They're quite rare."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:39:59 am »
Here is a really good page on dating antique spectacles. This one was done by a former member of my train robbing outfit: http://www.sptddog.com/sotp/spec.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery