Author Topic: Need info. Original 1889 Pairpoint complete catalogue and price guide.  (Read 4010 times)

Rocketdog

• View Profile
Hello, I have been searching and searching for any information about a catalogue I recently picked up but I am unable to find any reference to it what so ever.

It is a complete original 1889 Pairpoint Manufacturing Co. catalogue and price guide.  The prints in the book are fantastic and the condition is in my opinion very good for it's age and original intended usage.  It contains 206 pages along with a price guide.

As I said above I have been researching for days but can not come up with anything even close to it.  Any help or ideas would be beyond appreciative!

Thank you and have a great day!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Can you show us some of the illustrations? That catalog, as a reference, should draw a lot of interest with collectors. The Pairpoint "puffy lamps" are very desirable and there are many collectors who would want that book if it shows all the lamps that were made. Great find.

Rocketdog

• View Profile
Thank you Frogpatch!

I took some more pictures of various pages.  I don't see the type of puffy lamp your refer to but took pictures of the type of lamps offered in this catalogue.  I just can't imagine that I can not find any type of reference to this particular catalogue.  I have found individual pages from later catalogues but nothing any where near this complete. 

It's got me stumped!

Rocketdog

• View Profile
More pictures.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Here is a typical puffy lamp It looks like they were a little later than your catalog

http://www.oneofakindantiques.com/catalog/6704_pairpoint_puffy_lamp_with_hummingbirds_c1920_1.htm

Rocketdog

• View Profile
Very nice puffy lamps.  I was wondering the same thing that they might be later lamps as I didn't see them in my catalogue.  The illustrations in this catalogue are remarkable and a great source of reference, I just wish I could find some info on it.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
What is it you need to know?  It is pretty much all there. As far as value goes you would have to sell it  because it would be hard to find other sales for it.

Rocketdog

• View Profile
I am looking for some sort of reference to be able to put a price on it.  It just stumps me so that I can't find any reference to help price it so I was hoping someone with more expertise than I could shed some light.  I know everything is worth what someone pays but I would like to have an idea of a starting point on this one.

hosman321

• View Profile
Old catalogs are great references for die-hard collectors and not easy to come by in the condition yours is in. If you are going to auction it on ebay, I wouldn't start it any less than $50 and see where it goes. If you want a set price for it then just ask for a lot more and let people make you offers. ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:41:17 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
If you browse through these pages of completed (sold) listings, you can see that some catalogs don't sell at $200 and some bring a few thousand dollars. I think it all depends on rarity and what items are in the catalog. Fishing/tackle, bicycles, engines etc. seem to be really hot.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=antique+catalog&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=16&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Rocketdog

• View Profile
Thanks!  Great information and has shed some light on my catalogue.  I now have some sort of clue as to where to start.

Rauville

• View Profile
Very nice puffy lamps.  I was wondering the same thing that they might be later lamps as I didn't see them in my catalogue.  The illustrations in this catalogue are remarkable and a great source of reference, I just wish I could find some info on it.

The "Puffy" type shade was patented by Pairpoint on July 9, 1907.
From 1880 to 1894 Pairpoint Mfg. Co. was the metal and silver plating division of Washington Glass Co. At that time the two companies were brought together under the Pairpoint name.
I would guess that your catalog would perk the interest of a collector / historian to the point of a few hundred dollars.
Good Luck!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
I think that you received excellent information on this. Good luck selling it. It is a very interesting item and I would really enjoy looking though it.