Author Topic: Question for Those Who Sell on Ebay  (Read 1572 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Question for Those Who Sell on Ebay
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:12:08 pm »
I have a very very old box from England with either bakelite or plastic letters. Not sure if it was a game or not. My question is, I want to put this up on Ebay but have no idea what category to list it under. Any thoughts or suggestions? Collectibles? Antiques? Games? Box reads 'Marshall & Snelgrove Oxford Street London'. I've posted a couple pics of the box below.

yellowrose84

• View Profile
Re: Question for Those Who Sell on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »
I would not put it under games. JMO. Antique or Collectible.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:05 am »
Go with antiques catagory but research it first to see what it is for !! Might make a difference in your pricing to know !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:24 pm »
The company sold clothing, furniture and rugs and although acquired in 1919 they remained in business under the same name through the early 60s from what I found. I do not think that is a game but something else. They were not a manufacturer but a retail department store. I have no idea what that might be.

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »
Yeah, I think you are right. The box stored something else and I think I should just sell the box and then throw the letters in and tell the winner they came with the box. I have a feeling the letters are newer than the box. Thanks for the help!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:38:38 pm »
The box appears to date from the 1880 or thereabout. The letters do appear newer. The font style and color of the letters looks more modern. Plus Bakelite did not really make a big showing until around WWI even though it was perfected in 1907. It was used mostly for early electrical parts until the 1920s when the Art Deco Jewelry was first made