Author Topic: Antique Fridge question  (Read 2146 times)

calltc1983

• View Profile
Antique Fridge question
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:08:31 am »
I am thinking about buying a 1949 coldspot working fridge off craigslist they are asking 200 but I think they will take 150 it is not in mint condition but no rust or major damage. My question is what is this fridge worth? Because I would like to turn it into a kegerator if it is pretty common and not worth much.  I'm Guessing I might already be overpaying for it which is ok with me.

calltc1983

• View Profile
Re: Antique Fridge question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:12:10 am »
Sorry I have no pics yet and condition is not too specific I am just going off what they told me. I have done some research with confusing results. I have seen poeple selling them for as low as 100 up to over 1k from poor to ok condition.

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:47:37 am »
$200 for a working fridge? Not a bad price at all. If it looks good cosmetically, works mechanically, and you're not looking to flip for a profit, then $200 is a good price.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

calltc1983

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:52:45 am »
Thanks for the response. I did want to turn it into a kegerator and before I destroy an antique by cutting a hole in the front for a tap  I want to make sure it is a common item and not worth too much

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:43:57 am »
That's probably a fair enough price. I just sold a 1933 GE Globe Top last Saturday for $150.

Amazing thing was that still worked, even with the original sulphur dioxide refrigerant.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »
I can understand your confusion. I have seen mid century modern style refrigerators selling for a few dollars or free to good home up to a guy on the TV show American Restoration who paid thousands to have one painted to match a Nascar motif. I would go in low because I do not think people will be fighting over it. Be sure it works and is cold when you buy it. If it is not plugged in you may find it to be very noisy or have a bad compressor. They are very heavy and hard to move due to their rounded corners and all the weight being off center. NEVER turn it upside down or truck from the back when moving it. You could ruin it. I have moved dozens of these out of homes when I delivered newer models in the late 60s. The newer ones were easier. The dolly straps would slide on the old ones so we had to carry them. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:53:38 pm »
Offer them $100. to $150. tops !!  Not too many looking for a 1949 fridge !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:51 am »
One major issue (outside of the ones already mentioned) with old reefers/freezers concerns the seals on these units , as almost all of them are/get rather crisp .

There are modern 'solutions' to this , but all involve using modern seal 'kits' , which are not a 'match' for the era of the old ones ... if you're planning on making a keg-cooler , perhaps this is not so much of an issue for you ...

All refrigeration units function via removing heat , so leaking seals (in/on the doors) will make the old compressor work overtime & lead to larger problems .

As others have mentioned , transporting/storing a fridge on its' side will cause the oil in the compressor to migrate into the coils of the system & can/will turn a working compressor into toast , in short order !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 04:33:37 am »
Another thing you will likely find when it's up and running........your electric bill will likely take a nasty spike upwards. That is if you plan on running it constantly. A number of years ago we rented a home that included appliances and the fridge was close to 50 years old.  We ended up replacing it ourselves after too many problems and not enough freezer space with a 'newer' one. Besides being much more efficient (and safer) our power usage dropped significantly.

Love the look of the old style much more though  ;)