Author Topic: Need Expert Advice on Antique Candle Holder  (Read 1234 times)

w201

• View Profile
Need Expert Advice on Antique Candle Holder
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:47:49 pm »
Hello Everyone-

The reason for my post today is to hopefully get an "appraisal" or information on a wooden candle holder. I acquired this piece several years ago and never got very far in approximating its age. Perhaps someone who appraises antique wood furniture might have the expertise and knowledge to determine the age of the wood based on the pictures I provided.

I don't know all the details that go into appraising an old piece of furniture, but I'm guessing that the same method could possibly be applied to this item because its constructed from wood. Judging by its appearance, my personal opinion is that it could be an antique- the wood looks very weathered and and the corners are rounded- there are nails that appear to be made by hand- speckles of paint on the grip which leads me to believe it might have been used to paint the interior of a room before electric light was available- are just a few things that stand out.

Anyway- I've always been intrigued by this candle holder which looks like something from the turn of the century or older, and any information that anyone can add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance- if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Need Expert Advice on Antique Candle Holder
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:32 pm »
It is hard to tell from the photos but I don't see any signs of soot or burning. If it were carried around when lit, the air motion should have caused some burning of the wood. If it were hung in place even a draft would blow the flame and show some burning. Is there any signs of it being lit?

w201

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
Yes, there was some soot. That's one of the first things I remember checking for. You can see slight evidence of burning in the following picture. The image is overexposed, so it's hard to tell, but the wick also has burn marks.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:50:11 pm »
I am sorry but I have no clue as tho the origin or age of this. It looks Mediterranean or Spanish to me but that is a wild guess.

w201

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:49:25 pm »
Well, thanks for chiming in. The possibility that it could be Spanish or Mediterranean intrigues me even more. Hopefully someone will offer their two cents.