Author Topic: Drilled seat board?  (Read 3896 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Drilled seat board?
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:04:05 pm »
I have a question about an antique wooden chair I picked up today for free.  It does have a manufacturer's name on it but we were ready to get some nasty weather so I just threw it (not literally) into storage until I can really look at.

In the meantime I am wondering why the wooden seat would have a drilled star pattern in it.  Wondering if that is the way they were made or if that means that it was probably upholstered at some time. 

Could anyone offer any insight?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Drilled seat board?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:02:35 pm »
Please post pic soon so we can figure out what kind of seat it is!  Thanks in advance!

Many older chairs did if for design purposes.  Like this one
http://diddledumpling.blogspot.com/2010/10/before-and-after-antique-rocking-chair.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:08:56 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:39:10 pm »
I have seen chairs with a drilled design,, Texas star was popular !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:11:17 pm »
Ok I have tried to post this twice and I think my pics may have been too large so I hope no one minds if I post them separately.

It is a Sikes Chair Co. Buffalo Branch Buffalo NY  #835

Other than missing a few seat board tacks and some slight warping on the seat board, it is in excellent shape.  I would still like some more information on the star pattern although I am thinking it was probably upholstered originally.  If so, what is the significance of the star design?

From some of the information I found, it looks as though this chair was pre 1919 as that is when the Buffalo Branch closed.

All I know is that I think this was a great FREE find.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »
2nd pic

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:14 pm »
3rd pic

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »
Chronology of the Sikes Chair Company  as compiled from known documents and reader's stories.
Neat site here that people can send pics of their chair and history if known, for the family.
http://sikes-sykesfamilies.rootsweb.com/furniture.htm

If you go down on the page to a family member that related the Buffalo company was closed/relocated and returned to Buffalo in 1916 - and then relates that in 1930 was formed into the Cutler-Sikes Desk company as well.  So, your chair can be later than 1916.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:00:17 pm »
Ahhh thanks for the information.  I probably didn't read down far enough or I thought that if it was made after it relocated back to Buffalo it would have then had the Cutler name on it as well. I was trying to find a way to look up the chair design, date etc. by the number but that didn't pan out.

Thanks for the help.  I am still trying to figure out this seat  LOL

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »
We will keep searching as well.

Nice piece - I love the older solid wood pieces with character.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 08:04:06 pm »
Thank you KC  It is a nice solid and heavy chair.  When I was looking at some of the Sikes chairs that have sold it looks like they are pretty common and easy to find.  I do like to gather as much info as possible though.  Either way, was a nice find   ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »
That chair would date to 1910 to 1920 from the style !! Was probably part of a set !! Those seats were commonly used to save time and add a decorative flair to furniture that was rather plain !!  They could be purchased by the Mfr in bulk with one design !! I have seen a couple of different patterns including one pressed seat that resembled leather !!  Much faster to put those seats on and less expense than caning for the company !!  This chair was a less expensive line back then !!  But a very nice find and well worth restoring !!  No huge value but I like it !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 08:31:10 pm »
Thanks Mart.  Was the seat meant to have that star design or is there something else like upholstery that would have been there?  Yes I agree and I think I will leave it just the way it is.  It is a nice piece   ;D

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 08:31:59 pm »
Nevermind I just re-read what you wrote about the seat   :o

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:02 am »
You can look under the seat and see if there are holes around the perimeter where it would have been caned but I don`t think you will find any !!  These seats were also sold in hardware stores to put over a caned seat that had been damaged !! Back then people just couldn`t run out and buy a whole new chair when one was torn !! There was also a tulip design available but the star pattern in different variations was the most popular !! I think you can still buy them for restoring a chair !!