Author Topic: Need help identifying my bed  (Read 4975 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying my bed
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
I am so far from an expert it's laughable, but my first impression was Eastlake. I'd never heard of Prudence Mallard until this thread so started searching. They definitely tend to have much more elaborate detail..........whi le the cleaner lines of the Eastlake appeal more to me.

Came across this example of an Eastlake. While not a four poster it certainly has more in common to my untrained eyes.

http://buffaloah.com/a/lin/440/11br/br.html#Eastlake

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 12:00:02 am »
I was totally thinking the same thing. I have been looking to see if PM's had a style I had never seen...they are much more elaborate like Louis/French era....

This looks more Arts/Crafts and or Eastlake Style to me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »
To me that is a typical  Eastlake Style, with Renaissance revival influence, bed and was probably part of a bedroom set. It is a very nice piece.  Even the one they are calling Eastlake in the site to me is not entirely  Eastlake style but has the same influence.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:35:38 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 02:37:57 pm »
Not sure what everyone is looking at,, but Eastlake was only an interpretive style. What it looked like was totally up to whoever made it !! Its called Eastlake if it conforms to his definition !!  Since he never built a single piece of furniture,, it remains just his idea !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »
Mallard's first name was Prudent, although it's sometimes misspelled as "Prudence."

This bed is clearly renaissance revival, probably factory made in Ohio or Michigan ca. 1875. As the pictures later in the thread show, Mallard's stuff was rococo revival, 1850s-60s.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford