Author Topic: Roemer wineglass  (Read 1812 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Roemer wineglass
« on: July 08, 2012, 03:40:35 am »
Have this Romer wineglass and would like to know when made and by who . It's even signed so who knows maybe more to help . Thanks .

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Roemer wineglass
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:01:46 am »
Hi Gerspee  you do not have a römer,  römers have smaller feet and rounded bowls. Your piece is generally called a 'berkemeyer'. Berkemeyers started as wooden beakers with lids, carved from a 'berkemei' - the branch of a birch tree. The prunts on the stem are reminiscent of the rough bark of the wooden beakers. This is probably why the glass was named after its wooden brother. A Berkemeyer is a drinking glass with a wide, flared bowl dating from the 15th century Germany and Holland, and still made today. They have a characteristic green or yellow colour caused by iron impurities in the sand used for glass production. The thick, hollow stem is covered with prunts providing a secure grip for hands greasy from feasting, similar to the römer. They were frequently depicted in still lifes of table settings by the Dutch masters in the 17th and 18th centuries. Try searching glass makers from Germany and Holland.
Good luck hope this helps and I  will keep my eye out for your mark.  :)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:40 am »
Well done Wendy!!

The word "prunt" is new to me. Good one!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:57:17 am »
I see similar styles in my books, but no names or marks.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:50:41 am »
Thank for the proper name and will try to find by looking at Dutch or German makers .