Poll

History, maybe value of a painting?

History
0 (0%)
Value
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: History, maybe value of a painting?  (Read 6869 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: History, maybe value of a painting?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:33 am »
Those are pretty new style nails !! Still think mid century !! 1940 or 50 !!

30clay30

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 08:56:30 am »
I am thinking you are right.  As I look at the frame itself, it seems to have the older style but with some newer techniques.  However that has nothing to do with the painting.  The person who had this framed could have easily had it reframed in the 1940 to 1950 range.  It is almost like you need two different appraisals.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 10:07:16 am »
True the frame has nothing to do with the painting !!  I am saying mid century because of the canvas itself and how it is mounted, not because of the outside frame !!

30clay30

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:44 am »
Thank you Mart!  Because of your constant feed back I have learned so much more about this painting in the last couple of days then years of not knowing where to even start.  Your last comment sent me on a path of dating the frame.  The nails used to mount the frame are wire nails.  These nails were commonly used in the last 18th century until about the mid 19 th century when staples and wedges were used.  It has a plaster gilding that is coated in what looks like a gold sheet.  Which dates it in late 18th century but more so in the early 19th century.  On one corner of the frame there is a piece of plaster broken off which shows bare wood.  In the wood there is a square head nail, which dates it in the 18th century.

Please keep the info coming! 

Oh the frame only has one marking.  There are two "X"s carved on the back.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44:16 am »
That might be gold leaf which has been used for many years and is still used !! That frame is a nice one and is likely older than the painting although how much older is hard to say !!