Author Topic: John Maddock & Sons platter  (Read 4266 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
John Maddock & Sons platter
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:23:36 pm »
This platter measures 10" x 15"

There is a chip under one corner and another under a diagonal corner with also a mark that appears to me to be maybe a bubble in the glaze that then allowed staining?  Not sure if that is what happens but it is what it looks like.  There are a total of 3 of these marks I believe with the worst one showing in the pic with the chip.

When I was looking to try and date the marking - I believe it matched the mark for those made between 1880-1896.  I am not sure if that is accurate as there does not appear to be any visible crazing so I don't know. 

I also found the same platter listed on Ebay for $127.46 although that platter did not have chips but did seem to have a crack of some sort.

Interested in everyone's opinion as to date, value with the chips and marks etc.  Also if I list this, I would have no idea how to describe that pattern or the fact that the inside corners seem unique to  me because of the - ok help me out here  LOL  - "molded" appearance.  Not sure what that would be called - scalloped? 

Also there is a small impressed mark that looks like a 3 point crown.

Even taking the pics outside left some glare and shadow so hope these will work for everyone.

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: John Maddock & Sons platter
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:27:30 pm »
Sorry didn't realize I posted the mark twice.  Here are a few more pics

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:31:27 am »
Great job on your research, kidden! I can't add alot, except to say that your conclusions all seem correct. Too bad about the chip(s), which will detract alot from the value. Still, it's a beauty!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:31:04 pm »
Thanks.  The chips look much worse here than they do if you are just looking at the platter  LOL but they are there nonetheless.

So I guess my remaining questions would be:

Is it possible that this dates 1880-1896 is there is no apparent crazing?

The other spots that I mentioned that look like bubbles that popped and allowed staining - is that accurately described?

Anyone know how to describe that type of pattern?

I am not sure how visible it is in the photos but the inside corners have a molded design - is there a particular way to describe that?

Am I asking too many questions???  LOL ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:53:15 pm »
You can never ask too many questions !!  Yes its possible to have an old piece with no crazing but you don`t see it often !! Crazing is most often caused by drastic temperature change !! Hot water, cold water !! It is also caused bybthe paints and glazes used just getting old and brittle !! It doesn`t expand and contract as much as if new and flexible !!  Thats why you should not wash fine china ect in hot water !!  Body temp is best !!
Those look like mold  defects and there is little you can do about the staining !! You can try to use a white toothpaste (not gel) and a toothbrush and bit of water , or wet it and pour a bit of baking soda on and let sit a few minutes then use the toothbrush !! Might help !!
You are  showing a pic so I wouldn`t worry about getting too technical !!  Just say its a blue and white banded edge with impressed pattern in the corners !! Buyers will know what it is or if they don`t,, they will ask !!  It way more important to have good pics that to worry about the wording !!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:04:27 pm by mart »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:46:18 pm »
I was looking up your mark. It says " John Maddock & Sons Ltd,, Burslem, Staffordshire, England, Earthenware, ironstone, ca. 1945+ (1855-present) (Maddock Hotel Ware, Division of Royal Stafford China Ltd.) Hope this helps.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »
Hi Greenacres,

This mark does not have the LTD.  I am going to try and put a link in here from thepotteries.org site that I used to identify the mark.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/m/maddock.html

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »
Ok I hit reply before I was done  LOL

So it is from this website that I determined the date.  Also the bottom is scratched up some but even with magnifying glass I can't see any crazing.  I have newer pieces that are crazed horribly LOL

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:32:12 pm »
You are correct Kidden on the date of yours !! Its OK about the crazing like I said in the above post !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:22 pm »
http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/m/maddock.html This company had many markss!!! Look!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »
Does anyone know what I would use to describe that pattern?  Not really geometric - hmmmm boggles the mind  LOL

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 07:58:29 pm »
Read above !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:21:59 pm »
Hahahaha so totally missed that  LOL  Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:25:53 pm »
Don`t worry about the small things !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 08:33:01 pm »
and they're all small things....
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford