Author Topic: Unidentified silverware set  (Read 1590 times)

mach3diva

• View Profile
Unidentified silverware set
« on: October 20, 2004, 02:00:11 pm »
Hi.

I need help trying to locate information on the markings of an heirloom silverware set.  The set belonged to my paternal great-grandmother, and has remained in our family since her passing 38 years ago.

Description:

On the BACK:  a chalice-shaped symbol followed by the number "800", a cresent moon, and a crest.

On the FRONT:  a raised oval with three monogrammed letters: M, E, L (exact order difficult to tell);  three branches of laurel bound together by a large bowribbon, forming a "W" beneath the oval facing the tip of the handle; 9 raised, rounded lines of varying lengths forming a point directly above the oval, originating from the base of the handle; a small leaf at the neck of the utensil.  Exept for the oval, the above- mentioned forms are also on the back.  

I will attach pics as soon as they are available.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks!

D

kerrybee

• View Profile
Unidentified silverware set
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:50:50 pm »
is there a possibility that it could be German?  Check out this site for marks, and scroll to Germany -

http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.html

Silver is marked on a scale of 1000 points -  .925 is the standard for Sterling Silver - it is 92.5% pure silver, balance alloy for hardness

European standards have varied - your German silver may well be 80% pure silver, balance alloy -

Your silver date could be late 1800's.  It's important to try & get value, for insurance purposes.  Oh, and don't be afraid to use the silver.  Just don't dishwasher it, and use the blue "silver cream" ONLY.  No liquid "miracle cleaners" please.  (based on my experience) Nice part of your heritage.   KB