Author Topic: Antique Hand Colored Prints (19th Century) Giarre Stanghi Publishing  (Read 1295 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

I need your help to determine the value of my prints. I acquired 7 lovely framed prints from a thrift store. Prints measuring approximately 8 1/2" X 5 1/2". I found a watermark of
 "G e C Cini" which would date them to the mid 19th century. Published by Giarre Stanghi.  They are hand colored. The Title on the print in the photo is "Hungarian Magnetes"  At bottom center you can see a pencil marking with the word Hungary. During my research I found identical image on the internet with a disclaimer that the copyright had expired.

Would the date of my prints bring a higher market price?  I've attached the photo of one of the prints for your review. Each print (1-7) has a different image(Historical European images). They all have the similar cataloging marking on top with titles. I can provide more photo's if needed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Hand Colored Prints (19th Century) Giarre Stanghi Publishing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:06:54 am »
What the disclaimer means is that now the prints are in the public domain and anyone that wants to can copy and sell them without regard to the artist !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:16 am »
It does appear to be on older paper and hand colored but when these were done I will have to check on !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:35:30 am »
Good Morning Mart....thanks for your response.  I did find a list of names of Italian prints online which listed Giarre & Stanghi work was done between 1823-1838.  I also found a print for Giarre & Stanghi (Illustration) listed on Ebay in Italy for 46,00 EUR for two of them.  Question?  This type of cataloging was popular during that time and I wanted to get a clear understanding of the "VOL" "TAV" meanings noted at the top of each print. Any idea?  Thanks in advance.