Author Topic: A pair of antique chairs; info wanted  (Read 4587 times)

bigfische

• View Profile
Re: A pair of antique chairs; info wanted
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 08:09:13 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Last thing that I didnt see answered, are these likely American made chairs, or from somewhere in Europe?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 09:14:49 am »
Could be American or English but that does not change the value  !! Not likely European,, would look different if they were !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:26 am »
Bigfiche, if you live in America chances are that the chairs are American.

Not that you're chairs aren't cool, but an Eastlake parlor set would probably not be imported to the U.S. in the 1890s unless it were super high end, or especially distinctive in some other way. Otherwise, the cost of importation/freight, not to mention any applicable tarriffs,  would make a typical set too high to compete with typical sets from America.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »
Ghopper back in the 70`s,,80`s they shipped boatloads of English stuff to the U.S !!   Anything antique was selling like crazy !!  There was a lot of Eastlake style in that !! I bought a bunch of it when I had my shop !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:05:26 pm »
I have several English imported pieces myself Mart and they came in during that time as well.  Maybe it is just here in Texas we got all of them!!!  LOL

I would lean towards the American made aspect.  Like ghopper stated, it wouldn't make any difference in $$ value either way.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 02:44:57 pm »
The place I bought from was in Sulphur Springs !! He had vat stripping and this stuff was packed in his warehouse !! All styles,, some good and some not so good and needing repair !!    Nice hall trees were selling here at $200.+ and they were buying them at $20. !! It was just used furniture there and was plentiful !! This guy picked the best and sent them to both east and west coast !! He had dealers and shops with standing orders !!