Author Topic: Antique Carved Sideboard/Buffett Dutch? Flemish?  (Read 1667 times)

Shugzy

• View Profile
Antique Carved Sideboard/Buffett Dutch? Flemish?
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:56:16 pm »
Hi All,

I stumbled across this little Antique Store in Texas and found this MASSIVE Carved Sideboard/Hutch.  Shop owner purchased it an auction but knows absolutely nothing on it.  There are no obvious markings of maker on back, drawers etc.  It has a lock & key on the doors and actually has the key with it. It measures between 85 to 90 inches in length.  Before I invest, I want to know if you all can help identify, age, style, origin, value, etc.  I did not get a good picture of the feet, but they are so beautiful.  They have 2 C's back to back with other ornate matter around them.  Each of the panels have a different scene and there are carvings of men on each of the fron corners.  The top also has this beautiful 'key'like carving.

Any help would be appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Carved Sideboard/Buffett Dutch? Flemish?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:14:36 pm »
Had my doubts when I read the title of this,, Not much Dutch furniture shows up here !!  Where did you find this ??  General area not specifics !! I am in NE Texas !!

Shugzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:30:22 pm »
Waco area. So it's not Dutch?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:46:37 pm »
I didn`t say that !! Just that I had doubts before seeing it !! Actually could very well be Dutch/Flemish !! Those strap hinges are common in their furniture and the carving looks typical of their design !! But no way to say age, or value without pics of inside, back, the key and lock front and back, construction method and close ups of a few other areas !! Are you close enough to get additional pics ?? Or would the shop email them to you ??

Shugzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:06:43 pm »
This is the only other picture I took.  It's of the drawer.  Unfortunately, they are not very sophisticated and I will not be able e-mail pictures to me.  The key was like an old skinny door key about 4 inches long.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:05 am »
Just a typical skeleton key ?? If you had taken the pic from the side showing the dovetails would have helped more !! Inside tells nothing much !! Are you thinking of buying this ?? What is the asking price ??

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:27:21 pm »
I'm thinking "the golden age of dining rooms" in the early to mid 20th century, although this is unusually elaborate. Need to see dovetails!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford