Author Topic: 3 fish cristal st louis sign jean sala  (Read 5154 times)

micaela

• View Profile
3 fish cristal st louis sign jean sala
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »
Hi, I take 3 cristal St Louis Fish sign Jean Sala. I like some information about this fish. I try to search in the intwrnet and not tell much. I find the jean sala work in st louis in 1930-1939 : With the designs of Jean Sala and Jean Luce, Saint-Louis joins the Art Deco movement and adopts transparent effects and geometric cut motifs and shapes.

Kind Regards

Micaela

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: 3 fish cristal st louis sign jean sala
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:53:34 pm »
Wow, what amazing fish!! :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:23:10 pm »
Thanks you ghopper1924

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:42:20 am »
Jean Sala was a Catalonian From a family of glassworkers, he spent his working life in France.  He worked in Paris, as an independent glassmaker producing hand blown glass from the 1920s to 1950. Work from his small studio are rare. These pieces are not from his studio but while he worked at The Compagnie des Cristalleries de  St. Louis  it was founded in the Lorraine region of France in 1767 and is known for its very high quality work. Despite the fact that Rosenthal had no experience of glass production they took control of St Louis between 1942 and 1944. Jean Sala was director of St Louis during World War Two but continued designing on a freelance basis until the 1950's. I would say your pieces would date from that period. Please contact the Corning Museum of Glass (heaven on earth)     http://www.cmog.org/
 and send your photos  to the curator  Email: curatorial@cmog.org

They have a piece by Jean Sala  object named FISH but no photo, Please let us know what they say.
I would guess a value in the thousands.

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:09 am »
I admired these when you posted, and truly appreciate wendys information on them.

Like she said, pls let the board know what you find out, I'm sure others are interested

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:20 am »
Others.....like me!

-Broderick Crawford

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:58 pm »
Found this one sold  by Sotheby's in 2005 I assume it was made in his small studio as it states it is signed and only mentions Jean Sala.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2005/20th-century-decorative-arts-pf5014/lot.22.html

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 05:05:05 pm »
Thanks wendy for the info. I send the photos to the museum. And tell you if respond me.

micaela

Thanks sugarcube and ghopper1924

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:07 pm »
It was a privelege to see such beautiful fish!  Love 'em! :)

-Broderick Crawford

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:58 pm »
Hi, the respond of the Museum of Glass:

Dear Micaela,
Thank you for the photographs, they were very interesting.  I did not know that Jean Sala made designs for St Louis, but I am not surprised.
Jean Sala, and his father Bienvenu Sala, were well-known glassmakers in their time.  They had a small studio in the Montparnasse section of Paris. 
Born in Barcelona, Spain, Bienvenu (Benvenito) Sala (1859-1939) came from a family of Catalan glassmakers who claimed a Murano ancestry.  Sala emigrated to France with his wife and two sons, Jean (1895-1976) and Joachim, in 1904. 
Sala blew glass with the help of both his sons until Joachim’s early death in 1923.  The Salas were widely known for the vases they made of a bubbly lead glass called malfin, or unrefined, which they blew in their studio in Montparnasse. 
From about 1925 on, Jean Sala made his own work in addition to helping his father, and he continued to blow glass into the 1950s.
Jean Sala is best known for the vessels and animals (including fish) that he made from his characteristic bubbly glass of different colors.  The colorless St Louis fish were undoubtedly a special project with the St Louis glassworks.  However, Sala usually made his work in glass on his own, in his own studio; he was not affiliated with a commercial glassworks.
To see what the Museum owns by Jean Sala, search our collections browser. http://www.cmog.org/collection/search?query=Sala
I hope this information is of help to you,
Sincerely,

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »
Thank you micaela for the info   If you are looking for a value I would send photos to Sotheby's for an auction estimate.  You will be in no way committed to sell but they will give you an idea of a starting price the pieces if you decide to sell could always go much higher or lower at auction.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:16:05 pm »
It looks like thousands may be in the offing, and worth it!

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:58:45 pm »
Gorgeous pieces!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!