Author Topic: help me identify this item pleaseeeee  (Read 1190 times)

marko66

• View Profile
help me identify this item pleaseeeee
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:46 am »
Can anyone help me identify this item.... I have no clue at all, brought at an auction with a job lot.

The name stamped in is T.G & co ltd
The number is 12o4o or 12040 made in England with a funny looking M stamp at the start

Thank you for any help

mart

• View Profile
Re: help me identify this item pleaseeeee
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:22:40 am »
I think you have what has happened a lot over the years !! The stand and lid to a chaffing dish where the glass part has been broken !!  This was intended for rather formal dinners where a dish needs to stay warm throughout the meal !! A small candle or other heating device like a tea light was placed in the center and lit,, the glass sat in the rack and lid placed on top !! Was used for anything that had to stay hot during the meal !!  Crepe suzettes come to mind as brandy had to be hot before lighting !!

marko66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:36:50 am »
I think you have what has happened a lot over the years !! The stand and lid to a chaffing dish where the glass part has been broken !!  This was intended for rather formal dinners where a dish needs to stay warm throughout the meal !! A small candle or other heating device like a tea light was placed in the center and lit,, the glass sat in the rack and lid placed on top !! Was used for anything that had to stay hot during the meal !!  Crepe suzettes come to mind as brandy had to be hot before lighting !!

Thank you ever so much, makes perfect sense…. I was so confused as to what it was didn’t think about missing parts lol

Do you have any knowledge on what the M marking is??

Once again thank you ever so much for your help :-D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:41:52 am »
Its probably the date stamp !! Google the initials you gave !! It could be silver plate !!  Could not see all the marks well !! Can also google " M date stamp" English items were marked in this manner !! If U.S could be different !!