Author Topic: Unknown Large Copper Incense Burner Censer  (Read 1300 times)

grandpasantiques

• View Profile
Unknown Large Copper Incense Burner Censer
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:11:44 am »
Hello all.  I have been stewing over this item for some time now.  I have been put to the task of helping my sister out with identifying and possibly selling some pieces from a collection of a friend's estate.  Most of her collections were Asian in nature but this ipiece I don't believe is. It is solid copper, hand made and very detailed.  Its about 36 inches long and 16 inches wide.  There are 3 sections to it with three chains traversing from the bottom cover up thru the middle and over three pulley under the top cover.  The chains then attach to the top of the middle portion.  This allows for exposing the bottom cover by raising the middle up.  So as to be able to put the coals or incense in the bottom and then lowering the middle back into place.

It took me sometime to even figure out what it was but now I would like to find out where its from.  There are no markings anywhere but very detailed intricate metal work and stampings in the design.  There are also engraved/stamped portraits of what I would assume are some royalty or rulers or famous people of the originating location. The people in the portraits do not appear Asian but Im wondering about India or some middle eastern countries.  Figuring out the country of origin might help me narrow down on this quicker.  I am posting photos.  Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:16:59 am by grandpasantiques »

ACStanley

Re: Unknown Large Copper Incense Burner Censer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:35:15 am »
I am unsure with the date but as for origin, between the lotus and the turban wrapped gentleman I would say India. I am unsure of the significance of the lotus in correlation to India but I do know that they have a absolutely beautiful house of worship that's I believe they call the Lotus Temple.

Cheers,

-Adam

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:24 am »
It may be middle eastern.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:51:10 pm »
Something about the turban style makes me think India !!  Could well be a Temple incense burner !! Or at least that style !! I would ask and see if the owner ever traveled to India or other middle eastern countries !!  Could have brought it home as a souvenier/ tourist item !!  Things like that are made and sold in all the markets !!

grandpasantiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »
We dont know alot about her travels as she only had a distant niece for an heir to her estate but we do know she was a teacher or taught and traveled over seas alot.  She has alot of collectibles from Asia and Europe. Ive been doing alot of online research but just haven't come across anything else quite like this.  Thanks all for your input!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:16 pm »
If tourist item or souvenier type,, Check ebay and Ruby lane !! Usually they show up there if common pieces !!