Author Topic: Neat Vintage Brass Bullfrog ... But what exactly is it??  (Read 1602 times)

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
Neat Vintage Brass Bullfrog ... But what exactly is it??
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:55:57 pm »
Hi there!  I've got this neat little vintage brass bullfrog ornament.  It looks cool but i'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what exactly it is.  My online research hasn't come up with much so any help would be great!  It measures approx. 3" long by 2" wide with a 1/2" hole on the bottom with 2 adjacent screw holes.  My first thoughts were for a cane or something along those lines but with only a 1/2" hole that would be pretty flimsy.  Pictures included below - thanks ahead of time for the help!

'

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Neat Vintage Brass Bullfrog ... But what exactly is it??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:37:13 am »
I think it is a weird unknown frog thing. Like me.

Actually it looks like a turn knob for something. The flat bottom make me think that the cylinder was beneath the surface and the frog say flat against it. Are there any wear marks on the bottom or traces of anything to indicate that it rubbed against a surface? It may have never been used.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:51:33 am »
No,, I think you got it right the first time !! Was on a cane !! Look at the top of the frog,, at the head,,now look at the bottom part !!  Notice how smooth it is and worn where the hand would have touched !! And the shape would fit the hand !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »
I have a thing for unususal door knobs....your item is a shoe in for one.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:11:48 pm »
Could have been KC if the bottom was different !! I think this fit into a metal sleeve on the cane and two set screws tightened it !! You could change it if you got tired of frogs,,just loosen the set screws and slide it out !!

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »
The top is quite smooth indicating that it probably was used by hand.  I like the idea that it would have fit into the setting on a cane which would be interchangeable.  Being completely unfamiliar with vehicles I thought maybe it had something to do with an automobile.  Glad you all could help.  Once again thank you for all of your responses! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 06:30:09 pm »
Reminded me of one like this....but was used on a cabinet door!
http://www.tesco.com/direct/brass-tap-frog/428-0126.prd

You are most likely right Mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »
Don`t know why but this makes me think of the 40`s,, Fred Astaire/ Ginger Rogers era !!