Author Topic: Antique folding rocking chair  (Read 2348 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Antique folding rocking chair
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »
I know this was one of my friend's prized possessions.  It belonged to her grandmother who died 6 years ago at the age of 94.  I did my best with pics outside in between rain drops   :o

Unfortunately there is some damage but it might be minor considering.  I am as always, looking for dating, possible value and in this case suggestions on how to clean the paint off of the wood and the seat back.  I also couldn't find any markings at all except a well worn off label.

The damage I see should be obvious in the pics - the paint someone spilled, a few digs in the wood, also looks like someone was tacking things on the back - tons of little tack holes argghhh and also looks like something should have been on the top center of seat back.  Whatever might have been there looks like it broke off many years ago.

Always grateful for any information and assistance.

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Antique folding rocking chair
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:52:19 pm »
more pics

bbc-antiques.co.uk

• View Profile
    • http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »
Hi I believe it dates 1870-80 is possibly American  the tapestry looks like Berlin woolwork , I have removed paint from similar items by slowly breaking it up by manipulating it regards Martin
http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk antiques York NorthYorkshire buy sell art

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
Thank you Martin - any idea what style it might be or if there was a name for those folding rockers?  What I did do was take a soft scrub brush and I could see paint powder coming off - so will keep trying that.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:32:53 pm »
Sadly, rockers are undervalued, as wonderful as they are. Folding rockers can typically be had on my local Craigslist (in San Francisco Bay Area of California) for about $50 or less. Yours is a little nicer than most and it's in all original condition. Keep it and love it. Rockers are priceless when they are rocking you through a bad day. :)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:22:49 am »
Thank you everyone.  Does anyone know what the style of this chair might be or how best to describe it?  Also best way to get paint off the wood?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:32:57 am »
Hope its water based paint !! Just get a Q-tip and some warm water and keep applying till it softens, Wipe with terry cloth and oil afterward !!  For that on the fabric,, again hope its water based,, take a butter knife and gently scrape across it dry and see if it powders up on thickest parts !! Scrape and get all off you can like that !!  Then use a stiff toothbrush and warm soapy water and work inch by inch, Wetting scrubbing, wetting and blotting !!  The older the paint the better for removing it !!  Good Luck !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:57:01 am »
It's an Eastlake folding (sometimes called "nursing") rocker, made of walnut, probably 1890s, American. If restored it might bring $75-100, but as said above rockers - and chairs in general - are sadly undervalued.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »
This is also referred to as a "sewing rocker" - used widely by the ladies in parlors!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 04:44:56 am »
Thanks everyone!!  I will work on that paint and yes it appears to be water based.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:55:07 am »
Thats good !! No matter if dry water based paint will soften and can be removed !!  Just takes a little effort !!