Author Topic: weekend pickin finds  (Read 4421 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
weekend pickin finds
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:35 pm »
Hi folks!! got a great lead and ended up at a fellas house this weekend that had some great stuff and just wanted to get your opinion on they age and value of a couple of hay trolleys I found out there. Both are about the same size ( 18" tall, 23"wide, and really heavy ) and were used for hauling hay from outside the barn up to the hay loft. I know alot of these are worth quite a bit and just wanted to see what you guys thought. Judging by the hardware Id say theyre from the 40's or 50's ( Im guessing pic #3 may be an older model than pic #1 ) and much larger then the ones I saw on ebay. Both are complete and undamaged, after a few oil treatments theyll work good as new. Thanks for looking
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: weekend pickin finds
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:21:36 pm »
also got this old cast iron stand, any idea what it was for? little over 2' high and bout 1.5' wide, open top with 4 holes like something was mounted to it, plus two holes seen in the front  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:23:32 pm by JoshandLila »
H. G. Wells

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:36:47 pm »
I believe these are called hay trolleys.

Good article by a trolley collector
http://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/hay-trolley.aspx?page=2
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:40:39 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:46:02 pm »
knew they were hay trolleys, just wondering how old and what a good asking price might be. people repurpose the smaller ones all the time but I havent seen big industrial looking ones like this before. Only paid $50 for the two trolleys and the stand so Im hoping I did well

Thats the first article I read  ;D , leads me to believe theyre quite collectable
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:48:07 pm by JoshandLila »
H. G. Wells

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:20:30 pm »
hate to do it but wanted to bump this up one last time, need to sell one and was thinking $100 to $150 but didnt know if I was over shooting? any suggestions?
H. G. Wells

ACStanley

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:26:14 pm »
I think that they are beautiful pieces, and knowing a back story is all that much better, if selling online make sure that you take quality pics, with possible usages, and if selling at flea-market, I would set up on a table with lamp,and just display it perfectly, and I cant imagine you having a hard time getting $150 for them. That is just solely on design, if some one knows what they are and remind them of back in the day, id say up to $200... but all depends on your audience... Good luck!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:50:18 pm »
All I know about a hay trolly is what was on American Pickers !! We don`t have those type of barns where I live !!  It did say that some are worth more than others so I would get on google and you might look on farmersbuysell.com and see what you can find !!

idaho1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:10:30 pm »
All you need to do is look on ebay . I see them with prices from 30$ up to a basic 200$ . If selling local you need to price at your market value . I really like those myself . If i had one in my shop here in Idaho it might bring 35 to 50$ . People here are cheap !

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:17:36 pm »
I already looked on ebay, those are half the size of this and nowhere near as intricate. Theres one on ebay thats the same style and maker but theyre asking $800 for it and thats not realistic in my book. Most people buy the smaller ones to re purpose into light fixtures but wasnt sure if the size of these hurt the marketability. 
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »
They would sure look good with those rollers if you could mount a piece of marble on top and make a table out of it !!

chigato

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:27:03 pm »
If that cast iron stand has 2 neat equal holes in front, then I'd say it was part of a gas burner. They used to be in the basement laundry room and were used to heat tubs of water. The gas valves were in front and attached to 2 burners below the missing grate.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »
All you need to do is look on ebay . I see them with prices from 30$ up to a basic 200$ . If selling local you need to price at your market value . I really like those myself . If i had one in my shop here in Idaho it might bring 35 to 50$ . People here are cheap !
How cheap,...i,m needing someone to split 5 tone of logs before winter,and mow my meadow,approx 10 acre,s ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 07:10:31 pm »
That iron stand of your,s would indeed look good with a marble top,or a nice piece of wood,or slate,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:18 pm »
Marble would look awesome, or Ive learned you cant go wrong with butchers block either.. have to see what I find  ;D Thanks, never would have thought of it as a burner stand, pretty cool.
H. G. Wells