Author Topic: Antique Stove?  (Read 3326 times)

d10d3

• View Profile
Antique Stove?
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:23:15 am »
Hi everyone,

My girlfriends parents have had this stove in their family for many years, its in mint condition and I'm trying to find more information about it. I don't know anything about stoves or antiques for that matter, I'm just getting into it. lol.

The front says "QUEBEC" on it as you can see in the picture but on the bottom edge it says "WINGHAM, ONT". From what I've been able to find its likely made by The Western Foundry Co. Ltd. in Wingham, Ontario, but I haven't been able to find any information or even pictures of any stoves that look similar! It definitely doesn't look that old to me but its in such good condition that I have no idea really. No other markings on it other than a NO. 2 at the top and inside the silver piece at the bottom there's the numbers 45-1011.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Stove?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:42 am »
Made by same mfg
http://northbay.yatbo.ca/forsale-a-other-a-a513492-a-ANTIQUE-WOOD-STOVE-WESTERN-FOUNDRY-CO-LIMITED-WINGHAM-ONTARIO

The stoves made by The Western Foundry Co. were featured in the T. Eaton catalogues across Canada from 1907 to 1965.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:36:26 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

d10d3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:52:50 am »
Great thank you!

Any idea of approx age or value? The one that you linked looks like its a lot worse condition http://northbay.yatbo.ca/pics/ad_img/forsale/other/a513492.jpg and selling for $425 OBO. They were going to put it in a yard sale for $100 but I think they would keep it if its worth more.

I'll see if I can find any more writing or details on it the next time I go over. There's no scratches or rust on this thing which would make me think its probably closer to the end of that year range, like 1960ish?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:41:57 pm »
My problem (or not) is that I love older things!  This could have a custom (homemade) top made for it and it be turned into a really neat table yet still maintain the integrity of the piece for use!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ACStanley

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »
What a great idea KC!

d10d3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:47:42 pm »
That is a good idea! lol

So on the inside of one of the doors it has the year 1902 printed on it, it also has the number 75 printed above it. I found out though that it has beeen repainted, not sure how much that would bring the value down.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 05:58:02 am »
Such stoves were never painted to begin with. Stoveblack was used to make them "shine".

But that black paint won't affect its value very much as a decorator item

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:59:41 am »
At most junk shops you can find odd marble slabs !! Small riser to even it with the flue and voila !!!  lamp or side table !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:05 am »
Exactly Mart!

Stove black was used many times and really doesn't affect the value.  Now, if someone used black spray paint...that would!!!!

d10d3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »
Any idea of approx. value?