Author Topic: Since decanters seem to be the theme -  (Read 3107 times)

ACStanley

Since decanters seem to be the theme -
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:28:00 pm »
I picked up two of these (identical) milk glass decanters about six months back now... I am unsure of age and value... As seen in the pictures they are beautifully detailed in a floral and leaf motif.  When in direct light they display a lovely baby blue and sea foam green color. There are no markings anywhere (that I can see).

H - Bottle - 8" Bottle plus stopper - 11 1/4"
L - 5 1/4"
W - 4"

Thanks everyone!

ACStanley

Re: Since decanters seem to be the theme -
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:08:06 pm »
This is a Jenny lind blank by The Fostoria glass company. Value  with stopper $35.00  Nice example of Milk Glass  :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTF-Fostoria-Rare-Jenny-Lind-Error-Blank-Cologne-Liquor-Bottle-Flask-/170892725991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ca000ee7

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:50:20 pm »
The stoppers look like older milk glass, decanters have a blue tone !! Could be different batches of glass !!  Older milk glass has what is known as fire in it when held to bright light !!  Flashes yellow and red !! and has a more transparent look !!  Later it became much more opaque but they still call it milk glass !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:02 pm »
Nice examples!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

ACStanley

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:21 pm »
Okay, Okay... I just dont understand you guys!! First of all, how did you know it was Fostoria right off the bat?! lol Amazing, I am learning and very impressed... secondly, why is it a blank?

And lastly! Mart how could you tell that its older?! I never noticed but when I hold the lid to the light and look inside it definitely has a fire opal type of look! I love it! Also is it possible that when Fostoria made these decanters that they just had a back stock of stoppers and matched them up? Because both of them have the same stopper...

About when does the fire milk glass date to?

Thanks everyone! Your all awesome!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:49:25 am »
LOL !!  You have to look at a lot of this stuff !!  Its possible they made a bunch then decanters a bit later and/or just different batches of glass !!  Isn`t it pretty and yes that fire opal look is what I mean !!
Doesn`t get much better than Wendy on glass !! I have often wondered about that too !! There is a bare, circular place on the front that looks like something should go there ??   Maybe a label or something ?? That would be my guess !! Blank because nothing was ever put on in that spot ??
Now let Wendy correct me,,, but that would be my assumption !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:18:28 am »
Mart you are right on with color!!!! BUT (and there is always a but with glass ;)  Fostoria made milk glass in white, pink & aqua! The shading of these vary significantly as mart said with diffrent batches.   Some VERY pink some VERY light pink and so on. This is why your stoppers do not have that lovely baby blue and sea foam green color you mentioned.(differnet batch of glass or a white stopper matched at a later date by seller) Now the blank issue, Jenny Lind is a Swedish opera star who rose to fame in the nineteenth century and the line is Based on an earlier pattern Fostoria had produced without the cameo just blank.   So they took a small , earlier pattern  changed it made a huge line and dedicated it to Jenny Lind. Your piece was produced pre 1954.  Here's some more info
http://www.replacements.com/thismonth/archive/v1114g.htm
Thanks Mart (Doesn`t get much better than Wendy on glass!!)  But ironlord could trump me any day  ;)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:50 am »
This would be the same Jenny Lind after whom the distinctive spool beds are named.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:37 am »
What happened to him ?? He is still working I guess !!  He used to pop in occassionally but haven`t heard a word in a long while !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »
I know that ironlord was on the site in July...but I guess he is busy with other things in life - which can be a good thing.  Some of us spend way-to-much time on here!  LOL

I miss his wit and knowledge as well, but do enjoy those that are on here.  This site is constantly changing as all of us "age", become "vintage" then hopefully live to be "antiques"!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »
Man,, I hope my vintage status lasts a while !!  Not looking forward to being called "antique" !!   Come to think of it,,,guess its a lot better than the alternative !!!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:08:22 pm »
Indeed, much better!

-Broderick Crawford

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »
Age is a state of mind. That's what I tell myself. ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

joewoods

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:23 am »
Amazing choice and the design of floral and leaf motif is just fantastic!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:57:19 pm by joewoods »