Author Topic: Annoyed with myself  (Read 3469 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Annoyed with myself
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:55:56 am »
Hi, all,I was driving past a Red Cross charity shop this morning,and spotted 2 x carved wooden figures in the window,I stopped and went into the shop and asked to see the figures,the were of Don Quixote,and his pal Sancho Panza,they were,nt particularly old,roughly 30/40 years according to the shop,who informed me that they had come from an old lady,s house,i liked them and when i asked the price,i was pleasantly surprised £25 for the two,..I said i,d take them,then i discovered i,d come out without my wallet,I told the woman, I,ll be back in Half an hour,..please keep them for me,she said ok,I rushed home,but got held up, and did,nt get back to the shop until an hour later,...a different lady was serving, I asked about the figures i,d had put aside,she went into the back shop and came out with 1 figure,Don Quixote,I asked her, where,s Sancho Panza,..Oh, I,ve sold him!..she said,...i could,nt believe it,I said,..but they were together,..yes she said, but the person only like Sancho on his donkey,...I, bought the Don for £12.50p...but was so annoyed at myself for not putting my loose change on them as a deposit,
the figure measures 10in high x 9in long and 3in at its thickest point
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Annoyed with myself
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:09:36 am »
AAWWWW Sorry not a nice lady!!!   Could you put an ad in a local paper seeking the person who purchased the other piece?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:32:36 am »
I could Wendy,..but,I think if the Sancho buyer responded, their asking price would possibly be a lot more than what i,m prepared to pay,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:15:01 am »
So-o-o-o-o-o-o sorry to hear of your loss.  Unfortunately, sometimes that happens...and it is hard to let go off!  I know, have been there myself!

But, Pancho rides well and the value does even better!

Yours doesn't appear as crude as other items out there!  Much nicer carved!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:02:07 pm »
I,m a wee bit happier now, i paid a visit to the same charity shop today, and got a little statue of Don Quixote,its by the same maker of the other figure,Ouro Artisania,..its 8in tall and in perfect cond,..I got it for £2.50.... :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:11:32 pm by bigwull »

ACStanley

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »
;) good. That should make up for your first loss! I have certainly been in your position before... we have to remember that these people are volunteers not full time sales ppl... they are bound to make these mistakes...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 07:27:16 pm »
;) good. That should make up for your first loss! I have certainly been in your position before... we have to remember that these people are volunteers not full time sales ppl... they are bound to make these mistakes...
I,m even more happier now, that i,ve seen this one for sale on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ouro-Hand-Carved-Wood-Figurine-Spain-Artesania-576-/180952475186?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1448478720101810282%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »
I think we've all had one variation of this or another thing like it that ends up being very frustrating. It's going to happen at times, but, there is always tomorrow.

Another thing to remember, and I've seen it over and over again is that if you see multiple items of a collection show up at the thrift store visit the store a couple hours later or the next day or both .

A lot of times they have not put out all of an entire donation at once on the shelves and more will be placed out later.

One more thing, sometimes you may want to ask if they have any more like that item, sometimes they will check and see.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:35:43 pm by KevinM »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:58 pm »
I,have a great respect for anyone who gives up their free time to work as a volunteer,and i,did not blame the assistant,for selling Sancho,..as she had,nt been told that i had reserved them, as the other lady,had just left,..and today when I went in,she,who served me yesterday, pointed out this figure to me, as i had,nt seen him yesterday,..as it is a skinny figure and he was tucked behind a big porcelain vase,

ACStanley

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:47:27 pm »
Agreed Kevin, it always helps to check back or ask, and even build relationships with the workers... Im quite a vintage suit addict, and have made wonderful friends with the ladies in my local thrift stores, and when new suits come in that look my size they are always excited to point them out to me...