Author Topic: Old Vintage Ceramic Japanese Hand Painted Art Plate?  (Read 1381 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Old Vintage Ceramic Japanese Hand Painted Art Plate?
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »
I purchased this old Japanese or asian art plate a few months ago from the TS. It's about 10 inches in width and about 1 1/2 inches in height from the bottom rim to the top rim.

It's a rather heavy ceramic plate and is very nicely hand painted (rather thickly) and crazed. There is also a hand painted signature and/or seal of some type on the bottom.

The paint is rather thick and shimmers a little in the light at the right angle (kind of like a carnival glass shimmer or gasoline or oil on water shimmer) and there is a white dot of heavy raised white paint that the bird seems to be flying towards.

The bottom rim also looks to have a lot of vintage age or wear on it along with the 3 mounting holes within the bottom rim.

Does anyone know anything about this plate or the artist or origin or time period. I'm thinking early 1900's Japanese but I could be way off.

Thank for any help!

Kevin

" width="704" height="1908" border="0

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
Re: Old Vintage Ceramic Japanese Hand Painted Art Plate?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:18 pm »
I have a similar plate in the shop now, I am also looking for info. I will upload pics perhaps we can both look into it... I was thinking this is an early 19th piece... maybe Chinese? maybe Imari... like an early piece.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »
Thanks ANTIQUERAIDERS, this does look like an older plate and possibly an early 19th piece. I've looked around a lot out there and have yet to find a similar one out there but there must be a few I'm sure. I just haven't been using the right keywords in the search to locate it. I would like to see your plate pics...

Quinborne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:59:04 pm »
The plate is Japanese not Chinese. It does not like to be early 19thc may be late 19thc to early 20thc.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »
Thanks for the information Quinborne!