Author Topic: Neat Little Cast Iron ?Dollhouse Miniature? - Couldn't find much on it ...  (Read 2429 times)

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
Hey again!  We have a neat little find in a box we bought at an auction.  It appears to be a miniature wash basin or something of that nature.  There are two small holes in either end of it and there is noticeable age and patina.  The edges are very crude as if it was homemade and there are also tiny markings along the trim.  I have found some cast iron dollhouse furniture on ebay but nothing quite like this.  The detail is stunning.  Notice the little markings on each of the legs as well.  Maybe i'm totally off base thinking its a miniature for a dollhouse - hopefully someone can either confirm this or steer me into the right direction as per its age and value!  Thanks again ladies and gents!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
I'm getting a Middle Eastern flavour......from what I can see of the detail.  As for it's original purpose......could possibly have been similar to our old salt cellars?? Or could actually be a miniature as you have thought.

Others will be chiming in, lets see what their opinions are  ;)

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
Thank for the reply!  Hmm a salt cellar - never considered that.  That's why i love this site!

Looking forward to more replies!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Looks like the frieze may have been intended to be hieroglyphics. So yeah, an Egyptian vibe, Mesopotamian, even ancient Rome.

Hmmmm, ancient Rome. I don't even want to say what suggests itself as the function for this object. ;)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Looks like a salt cellar to me!  Interesting that we are going through a salt cellar phase here!

Salt cellars were made out of porcelain, glass, wood, metal, silver, gold, etc.....

They are making a comeback believe it or not...Perfect example is this novel one being sold by Pottery Barn

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/wheelbarrow-cast-iron-salt-pepper-cellars/

Look at the thread "Small crystal something..." by kidden6968 that is currently being addressed by the forum.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:52:06 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
Wow thanks for all of the responses.  I would have never considered a salt cellar without the help of this page.  This thing does have quite the patina on it though - do you think it's old or just not taken care of very well?  Also do you think it's a wash basin or suppose to be something else?  What function were you thinking ghopper?  Very interesting!!  ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Let's just say it reminds me of much larger objects that were set out to accommodate those that ate too much....WAY too much..... ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kidden6968

• View Profile
Oh boy - that's a visual image I don't want to have  LOL  and yes I have been learning about salt cellars as well and there are definitely a few of them on ebay that are bringing in bids - seems to depend on age, material and design.

mart

• View Profile
pics are kind of big so havent seen them yet,, finally got the pics,, i agree with Egyptian or that area !!  Dont think it would be a salt cellar with those holes !!  Salt would fall out !!  unless it had a liner !!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:54:25 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm having a brain freeze (which isn't possible this time of year Mart, LOL) but I don't see holes in the bottom on the pics....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
third pic from top KC !!
There is a black residue inside,, that would likely mean an incense container/burner !!  two holes in end would have let air in from the bottom so it would smolder and not go out !! It probably had a lid with a hole or two !! Legs would keep it from getting whatever it sat on hot since its metal !!