Author Topic: Deering Harvester Blade Sharpener (sickle grinder)  (Read 7397 times)

ericjstratton

• View Profile
Deering Harvester Blade Sharpener (sickle grinder)
« on: August 25, 2012, 01:50:04 pm »
I think I have come across an orginal deering harvester sickle grinder; prior to the merger with McCormick? Could anyone assist me with getting more information? It has a Chicago stamp on it and is labeled K# on every part. How can I check the value or possibly the authenticity?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Deering Harvester Blade Sharpener (sickle grinder)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:56:26 pm »
Not that I know anything about Sickle grinders,...but in your own mind...is this item something that is likely to be copied then passed as an original...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:22:53 pm »
Even after the merger of Deering and McCormick they continued to manufacture the separate lines of machinery under each name for several years.

http://www.farmcollector.com/Farm-life/Whatever-Happened-to-McCormick-Deering.aspx

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:54:39 am »
bigwuff. not really worth copying,

The primary difference between a sickle bar grinder and a standard bench grinder is the shape of the grindstone or grindind wheel.

The grinding wheel is made in a "V" shape so that one can sharpen one (1) edge of two (2) different cutter blades at the same time. One can't remove the blades from the cutter bar because they are "rivited" side-by-side thereon. Thus, they have to be sharpened "in place".

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:28 am »
bigwuff. not really worth copying,

The primary difference between a sickle bar grinder and a standard bench grinder is the shape of the grindstone or grindind wheel.

The grinding wheel is made in a "V" shape so that one can sharpen one (1) edge of two (2) different cutter blades at the same time. One can't remove the blades from the cutter bar because they are "rivited" side-by-side thereon. Thus, they have to be sharpened "in place".
I,ll Bigwuff you...had the f been next to the L..then i would have said..your finger slipped...but as they are 4 apart...i,ll remember that you old codger ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:19:38 am »
HA, my spell-checker don’t work for “screen-names”, they always show up being “redlined”.

And without my spell-checker you might even have trouble reading my posts. Probably 10% of the keys I intend to “hit” with my index finger I fail to do so or two different keys end up getting depressed.

Having a really bad case of RA has done nothing to preserve my old typing skills of years gone by.

Schidt happens, …. ya know, ….. and I don’t get excited about it when it does ..... because I learned not to 57 years ago.  ;D ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:00:19 am »
The same happens to me,when i write various words that are spelt differently from the American way...i end up with redline,s every where...e.g. colour, labour mould these are right for me...but wrong for you...i sometimes think it would be easier if words were spelt the way they are said....as for you RA...i have it in my fingers too,and i,m down to one finger now...slow but i get there in the end!!