Author Topic: Illusive Pattern!  (Read 1907 times)

Dianne

• View Profile
Illusive Pattern!
« on: November 02, 2004, 07:11:23 pm »
:huh: I have an antique coffee set that I just can't identify.  It is white with a gold ribbon accent that looks like it's gathering the cups, cream & sugar and coffee pot close to the top.  On the bottom there is a very faint lattice and lace pattern imprint. The handle is also gold and there's a thin gold strip on the close to the bottom.  On the coffee pot, the thin gold stripe is decorative around the pour spout, too.  There is a coffee pot, a large cream and sugar, eight cups, about 12 saucers, bread & butter plates and small plates.  There are no markings - really...I've looked very hard!  I have the date traced back to my great, great, great grandparents who received it on their wedding day from an aunt and uncle in England.  Their wedding took place in 1820, but I was told by my grandfather that it was a used set when it was given.  If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it, I don't know where else to go for help.  Thank you.  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Illusive Pattern!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 12:50:42 pm »
it's a tough question' with out a picture.and no Id numbers etc. in some cases it's possible to date according to style, shape pattern etc. but even then it can be very difficult to identify the maker. :(  

kerrybee

• View Profile
Illusive Pattern!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 10:23:46 pm »
Hi D & B - & Dianne -

I saw this post earlier today - thinking outside the box, just because it came from England, could it be continental?  French?

Could one of the well known auction sites help?  Skinner? (home of the Roadshow folks) - a small fee, would need great pics - bottom, top, sides, lids off and photo of inside -

And this is where great provenance comes in - pics of different generations of families displaying/using/wills/family bible references/old letters -

It sounds wonderful - a treasure for your family - needs to be insured - -

Any thoughts there D & B?    KB

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Illusive Pattern!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 05:25:36 pm »
very good point' my experiance show's alittle is worth alot. in most cases you will know as much about it as when you started, see your trying to elicit FREE info. you might get and auction value. and that's about all your going to find out. there not going to tell you who what when. but value  is 90% for insurance purposes. :(