Author Topic: Bronze Rooster Man  (Read 6101 times)

ACStanley

Re: Bronze Rooster Man
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 11:46:53 pm »
Oh My Gosh! Can we please stop talking about cattle! I had enough of that in my thermos thread! =)

msghopper1924

• Ms Ghopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 06:38:59 am »
We saw Rooster Man at a crowded estate sale, and would have loved to get a photo! Unfortunately, we had to use the photo from the advertisement. The woman that puts on the estate sale called us last night, as today is "1/2 price" day. She said that the owners would not go 1/2 price on Rooster Man...but might be willing to "deal" with us. If only we were RICH! And then there is the fact that I love it, and Kevin doesn't!  :-\ If wishes were horses, beggars would ride!
Endeavor to Persevere!
-Chief Dan George

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 07:01:57 am »
well if you spend $12 g on something, it would be good,, if you had to sell it in the future,, to know you would not lose money !! that would be like dealing in the cattle market,, buy high,, sell low !!  not a good thing!!  you lose your skivvies like that !!
Thats the way a Dealer would think,but for a private individual...they buy because they like it..but if i had $12G,s to spend on one item,then you,d better believe that it would be,because i could afford to, and not because,i,d be worrying..is it going to lose money....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 07:12:06 am »
Good points, both of you. If you're putting that much cash out for a sculpture, you don't want to think of losing money, but as with all antiques I won't buy unless the love is there. As we've seen in the past 5 years, the market can always go south, along with your retirement dollars. At least you want to love the items before you sell for a loss  :D

As a sidebar, we do know that, even at 12K, the present owners would lose money on the sale.

The problem is, we cannot find any sale prices on anything by this sculptor, so there's no information on how his sales have been tracking, at least that we can find.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:55 am »
My Retirement Pension Pot....went down the tubes when Lloyds Bank went pear shaped...up until the collapse of the banks here in UK,..i,d paid in £22,000....then boom...banks bust.....i got back £9,000....in hindsight,my money would have been safer buried in a pot in the garden.....its the same with Antiques and Collectables...they go up...and they go down....just like my pension pot :'(

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 05:58:06 pm »
We went back to the sale today. Rooster Man was discounted to $10K.  Now, is that a good deal?? ;)

Seriously, we were sad to see him not sell (to us), but we just couldn't afford it. I hope we don't find out that $10K was a steal after all!! ;)

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 06:54:20 pm »
do you know the accredited name of the sculpture??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 09:41:22 pm »
When I was in Switzerland a couple of years ago i visited this place...you,ll either love or hate what this guy does...and sells,...for me..he is the dogs danglers

http://shop.hrgigermuseum.com/shop/USER_ARTIKEL_HANDLING_AUFRUF.php?darstellen=1&Kategorie_ID=63&PEPPERSESS=a5dfb3dd58a7a756e92f422e082c2117&kat_last=63&kat_aktiv=63

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:08 am »
Oh yeah, big Giger fan here. I had the old 'Necronomicon' in large folio form until it fell apart (bad binding).

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 05:53:51 am »
I have been to his museum twice...its a part of his house...well its not a house its a Chateau....Chateau St.Germain, in Gruyere....when i went there for the first time..i did,nt know that he had done all the artwork for Dune...in the main hall of the museum..there is a Harkonnen Dining room table with 8 chairs...its awesome,....its jet black and the surface of the table has a mirror finish..and if you stare into it...you get the feeling of being pulled into it....when it happened to be...I jumped with fright!!..there are also Giger Bars....i have been in the one in Gruyere  and also the one in Chur..see link

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=13&gs_id=k1&xhr=t&q=HR+Giger+Bars&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=HR+Giger+Bars&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4d59194e7a14bae1&biw=1024&bih=629