Author Topic: Brass Candlesticks dating question  (Read 6423 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Candlesticks dating question
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 04:30:58 am »
I,ve looked at the underside of the base again.and it has definitely been cast in a mould..then it has been turned on a lathe,then a screw thread had been cut,.this tells me that from the thread to the shoulder on the base..that this is solid,.the green on the inside of the candle holder is verdigris.......whi ch is copper sulphate,...here in the UK,we have two types of brass,one is yellow brass,and the other is bush brass......bush brass is a lot harder than yellow brass,..its basically bronze...see pic of ..bush brass bearing,
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:42:49 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 05:05:19 am »
I did some looking at bronze items and they look so much darker than these and I know that also depends on age.

And this method of casting, turning and the screw thread being cut is a more quality product than. . . ?  Not sure what other methods are used  LOL   ???

And I want to be sure to list these accurately. 

It is Monday morning and I am not quite awake yet but ultimate opinion then is that these are bronze?

Brass can turn green as well due to copper content can't it?

Please bear with me - sometimes as one question is answered my brain comes up with more   :o

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 05:16:46 am »
These bearings are new..no patina...your sticks are bronze..i am in no doubt,..yellow brass is more malleable,the ultimate test,..if you are still not convinced..would be to file the underside of the base...and if the filings have an orange hue..then they are bronze...or bush brass...

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 05:22:50 am »
Not sure I want to go through that trouble   ;) but just trying to learn.

They aren't worth that much but I just want to make sure I am not misrepresenting something and some of the bronze candlesticks I viewed are bringing in a similar price.

Thanks for all the help and with descriptors - and one last question   ::)

The candlesticks that have a screw holding the base on are made by what method???  They aren't all cast in a mold?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 05:41:20 am »
If your candlesticks had a base that was attached with a screw or a bolt...then only the base would have been cast...the stick would have been all in one piece and would have been turned on a lathe....your sticks are the first that i have seen whereby they screw onto the base in such a manner...

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 05:59:29 am »
Thanks again!!!!   ;D