Author Topic: HELP!! Unable to identify pottery, Is it Korean, Japanese or Chinese?  (Read 2370 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I recently found these lovely pieces at the Salvation Army Thrift Store in Central Georgia (USA). I found a lot of about 10 pieces.  6 pieces look like Japanese Saki cups but no marking other than a flower inside of cup, the others would be 2 rice bowls and 2 saucers.  During my research I was not able to pin them down to a particular region.  However I do feel that they could be early to mid 20th Century pottery.  The Rice bowl measuring approximately 4" X 2 1/4", Saki cups 2" X 2 1/4", Famille Rose bowl (saucer) 5 1/2" -cup 3 1/4" X 2 1/2". Photos listed below.

Is there anyone here who can assist in identifying these pieces.  I know Asian pottery can be a little tricky and I need some EXPERT advise on finding the resources that would help me.  I've looked in the site Gotheborg.com and others and did not find what I had hoped for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks   

DANTE5

• View Profile
Re: HELP!! Unable to identify pottery, Is it Korean, Japanese or Chinese?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:47:13 am »
More Photos

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:43:49 pm »
I'd say that you are correct about the sm 'cups' as those for saki & they are indeed Japanese , such as commonly found in Japanese Dept stores & such ... 1970's-1990's IMO .

Rice bowl is a common little dude , prob from a small restaurant/stand .

I'm curious about the floral pattern stuff you've posted DANTE5 ... is that color 'bleeding' around the motif(s) & are they hand-painted ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:30:28 pm »
FancyPants....Thank you for your reply.  Yes the pink color does look like it bleeds around the figures and Yes they are hand painted with gilding on the rim.  I fail to mention that on the bottom of saucer are 4 small red numbers, slightly illegible and also in the center of saucer left of the hairline appears to be some type of incised mark not very visible but when touched it feels like 3-4 small round marks (about the size of a B.B. imprint.???)  No markings on cup.  I included additional photos for your review.    Question?....Would you consider this pattern a Cobalt Blue?  I am a little confused in the definition on the Asian Cobalt Blue.  I once read about a porcelain piece similar to these and the author described it as Cobalt Blue because of the pattern i.e., cobalt blue accents???  Thanks again for your help.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:16:35 pm »
it is not what is called cobalt blue !!  but then most of what is known as cobalt blue isn`t !!  cobalt blue is a deep clear blue closer to royal blue !!  but many shades of blue are called cobalt blue !!  i have never heard of an asian cobalt !! sounds like someone is putting one over on you !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:35:51 pm »
Thanks Mart..... I have several patterns of the French Cobalt Blue glass dinnerware.  I also have some studio pottery that is Cobalt Blue (Deep Dark Blue Glazed).   I had never heard of such so I thought I would ask, LOL !! :). That was my confusion.  Now I am even more curious as to my it was even mention as cobalt blue when the pattern was "Famille Rose"???  Thanks again Mart....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:54:46 am »
not sure and i am certainly no expert but i think the rice bowls are possibly chinese rather than japanese,, as the characters are different from the ones i have seen from japan !! and they seem to be in two lines !!  what is on the outside seems to be similar to a chinese restaurant !!  but could be totally wrong on this !!  chop or seal marks (bottom)usually indicate the region they are from !!  like a canton or hunan chinese restaurant !!  at least thats my guess !!
sake cups look pretty typical imports from what i can see !!
why don`t you take them to an oriental market or restaurant and see if anyone can tell you about them !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
Mart....Yes, your suggestion is a good one!!  Thank you.  FYI... interesting enough it has a tint of bluish green on finish I also asked someone about translating the scripting on the outside of the bowl and they really could not but said it looked like Korean ??  I then began to look for Korean based pottery marks,makers etc. and just ran into a road block.  That's when I thought I would contact the forum for some direction. I've uploaded a new photo of the bowl.   Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 01:48:46 pm »
my husband was in Korea for a while in the military,, not that much difference in Korean and Japanese !!  I can get him to look and see if he recognizes it !! 

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »
The writing on that bowl definitely looks Korean.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 06:56:10 pm »
hubby couldn`t say !! guess the market is your best bet !!