Author Topic: What is the Cast Iron Peice?  (Read 3872 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: What is the Cast Iron Peice?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 07:09:43 am »
My pure guess would be that this was from a drygoods store and held a card for winding lace yardage on. Put an empty card in,  turn the crank and wrap the desired length around the card as it revolves. Did I explain that well enough to understand?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 08:01:51 am »
Very good, Rauville, I think you got it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 08:14:54 am »
excellent rauville !! i kept thinking yarn but it was not like any i had seen !!  i like your idea better !! and since lace went on a flat card,, would work perfectly !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:36 am »
Okay...I do believe it "could" be the lace winder but just have to share some pics of old yard winders...

A Niddy Noddy and a Spindler = have posted this newer one just because it has yard on it to show how it is used! 

Floor Stand Winder

Yarn Winder 

Early-19th Century American Scrimshaw Swift
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 09:32:26 am »
I also need to share this story with you....this person put it best about "Pop Goes The Weasel"
"The origin of “Pop Goes the Weasel” is not the cobbler’s bench story as is so often told. A “weasel” was a yarn winder. On my wife’s 1840′s yarn winder, the “monkey” in the nursery rhyme is the metal pin on the wooden gear. It slowly “chases” its way around and when 100 yards of yarn have been wound, the “monkey” crawls underneath the long wooden strip and when it releases, Pop!! goes the weasel. It scares the daylights out of you when it happens and you could see how kids would find the mystery of when the Pop!! was going to happen to be quite interesting. Stuart"

A Lazy Kate

I'm wondering if it wouldn't hold an item like this?  I can remember getting cord/twine from the old hardware store and they had a winding mechanism that held the wooden "card"
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 09:50:25 am »
May I recommend that you try and contact these find folks?  They specialize in "mechanical" tools from the past - in all categories and uses.  They may know!  I love their site!
http://www.antiqbuyer.com/Archive-HEADER.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »
would work for twine or lace,, multi use tool !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 05:18:40 am »
And especially ribbons.

In an era when retailers purchased most items in “bulk”, it would have been handy for “measuring” a 1 to 3+ yard purchase.

Like 1 turn of the crank = 1 linear foot, …. 3 turns = 1 yard.