Author Topic: Victorian lyre-back wash stand/vanity  (Read 5887 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Victorian lyre-back wash stand/vanity
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 07:15:33 pm »
true,, but many of these pitcher and basin sets were being made into the late 70`s and 80`s !!  those are only worth $25. or $30 bucks !! gotta know what they are !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »
My son just bought a house from the 1820's with no plumbing. No one has lived in the house for nintey years. I'm excited about the privy out back. He also bought the connecting outside which is amazing! It's gutted on the interior. This house has been uninhabited for 50 yrs. It still has the gas lighting in the walls. The house in ,certain areas, was built without nails. The balcony area was built with dowels. They start the house next week. They are restoring it.

Yes, please provide photos, as many as possible!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 08:54:19 pm »
I will get photos. It's been a process. I have some furniture that was left behind, but I've had to wait. It's 4 stories up. The stairs are winding and not so stable. I've been driving my huband nuts. He does the rehabing. This house has the original fireplace and mantel. They haven't let me back in yet.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »
Love those kinds of projects!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:29 pm »
Me too. There has been a lock boxes on the doors, but my husband would rather he be there. They have waiting for permits and drawings.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

ACStanley

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 10:32:14 pm »
Yep, pitchers and basins were basically plumbing for those that didn't have any. Add in chamber pots for a fuller picture.

These items typically date from the early 19th century, around 1820 or 1830, up to the time that plumbing became the norm in most houses in the early 20th century. Before 1820 it was only the British and American "upper crust" that believed in bathing frequently; it was quite an "avant garde" notion. Most everyone else bathed, at most, once a month, or - more frequently - once a year!  And even then bathing was pretty much confined to the skin that was visible.

*pause to consider this * **shudder**

Not everything was better in the "good old days."

And yes, they do have value. Like anything else, it's relative. A typical pitcher and basin, used back in the day and with a chip or two, will go for $75-$200. A full bathing set, with soap dishes, chamber pots, and even cups for early toothbrushes, can go for many hundreds of dollars, depending on maker and condition.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will do some further digging being the wide range of makers and time in which they were made!