Author Topic: Alphabet Plate & Duck Lamp  (Read 2735 times)

GoatTea

• View Profile
Alphabet Plate & Duck Lamp
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:51:22 pm »
Here are a couple items that I sure would like more information on. I have found a couple similar plates but nothing exact. I would guess it's age to be turn of the century just based on the depictions (william mckinley?). I think it is referred to as a Child's Alphabet Plate. No idea of value or exact age. The lamp I am not as interested in, but mainly curious if anyone has seen similar or can put a decade on it. I was told from seller that it is called a TV Lamp, and would sit atop a TV and I would guess 50-60's. Any info on either item appreciated. Have many more whatsits I can post. Better pictures next time I promise.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:57:51 pm by GoatTea »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Alphabet Plate & Duck Lamp
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:04:00 pm »
The pic on the inside is not particularly important as far as value !!  They made all kinds of transferware ABC plates and had different pics to teach a little history lesson !!   Also made popular characters like Punch and Judy !! This is Charles Allerton & Sons Staffordshire pottery stamp and it says its from 1860 to 1911 !!  Found one in excellent condition with different pic for $225. but asking price and selling price are two different animals !!  I would think about $100. more realistic !!  Not unusual to not find one like yours online,, kids tend to break stuff !!  I bet they are out there though !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:08:17 pm »
Anything on bottom of that lamp ?? How big is it ?? Looks more like a childs night light than a TV lamp !!

GoatTea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »
Cool. Might just put the plate up for auction and see what happens rather than let it linger in the antique mall. We only payed a buck for it.  ;D The lamp is ceramic I believe and has no markings on the bottom. The duck motif does seem more child oriented so I like the night lamp theory, even though we got it from an older man. Got a few cool duck items actually, including and old pull toy and what I think are Korean wedding ducks. Is there such a thing even as a TV lamp?
Thanks for all the info!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:18 pm »
I agree it looks more like a tv lamp.  Can you please post a pic of the electrical cord/plug and underside of the lamp.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:41 am »
McKinley would most likely date the plate to the first decade of the 20th century.

Part of that "T.V. lamp" looks like one of Devo's "energy hats," so that might date it as late as the 70s :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

GoatTea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:15 am »
I agree it looks more like a tv lamp.  Can you please post a pic of the electrical cord/plug and underside of the lamp.

You can see the cord in the pic and there is nothing on the bottom but I will get a pic up soon.

GoatTea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:24:31 am »
McKinley would most likely date the plate to the first decade of the 20th century.

Part of that "T.V. lamp" looks like one of Devo's "energy hats," so that might date it as late as the 70s :)

Being a huge DEVO follower the ENERGY DOME is what attracted me to the lamp. I think the seller said the dome was made of satin glass?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:42:18 am »
[Being a huge DEVO follower the ENERGY DOME is what attracted me to the lamp. I think the seller said the dome was made of satin glass?
[/quote]

Awesome! A friend has a "Gen-yoo-wine" Devo ENERGY DOME, but it's made of cheap plastic. If yours is made of satin glass it might very well be worth holding onto! :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:46:05 am »
It does look like satin glass !! Yes there were many TV lamps in the 50`s and 60`s but ducks were not a popular theme by most !!   Although I have seen a few with mallards taking off !!  They do tend to be a bit pricy when you can find them !!