Author Topic: Yellow Satin "Uranium Dioxide" Vaseline Glass  (Read 3691 times)

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
Yellow Satin "Uranium Dioxide" Vaseline Glass
« on: September 10, 2012, 06:45:37 am »
I have a yellow satin uranium dioxide vaseline glass vase.  It has poppies(?) around the body of the vase in three locations - spaced around about in thirds.  Two of the poppy impressions are nice and crisp, while one set looks as though the impression didn't take.  Could this be a manufacturing flaw or was it done on purpose.  If it is a flaw, does it make the piece more or less valuable?

Thanks for any/all advice.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Yellow Satin "Uranium Dioxide" Vaseline Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:00 am »
Pretty piece it was produced by TIFFIN, this piece is a mold piece and many times as they were used the molds began to show signs of wear, This piece probably did not go out for sale but home with a worker. The mold then destroyed and new one made. Does your piece react under blacklight?  I do know off the top of my head Tiffin made this piece also in satin black, pink and "uranium green" Test with blacklight as not all colors are "uranium" I would call your piece Vintage Tiffin satin Canary vaseline glass circa 1920's  Value  close to $100.00 

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:19:58 am »
Yes, I did check it under black light, and it glowed the most wonderful neon green! ;D

Thanks for the info!  I am tickled pink. . . er. . . green!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:23:36 am »
Excellant I just love to see the colors some of the dep glass glows under black light!!  Canary is a color collectors hunt for in this pattern by Tiffin so wonderful find!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:27:19 am »
It never ceases,to amaze me,..how one word can be used for different things.....like in UK in the 50,s /60,s a Tiffin....was a chocolate bar,with biscuit and raisins in it....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:35:25 am »
Yes the colors are remarkable!  As a kid growning up, my mom used to collect green depression glass.  I often noticed that many of the pieces had this strange hue - especially in the areas of dense glass.  After my father died, my mother moved to a smaller place and told me that I could have her collection.  I had always loved the Tiffin vase, but didn't know much about it.  When I started researching, I found out about the uranium dioxide and immediately went out and bought a black light!  (Had a momentary 60's flash-back  ;))  Not only did the Tiffin vase glow, but so did most of her other pieces.  I still have a couple of others to check. . . but so far . . . we are spot-on!

Again, thank you so much for the insight.  It has been invaluable!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:37:40 am by Kimmienemo »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:43:09 am »
Bigwull the chocolate bar sounds yummm  :)    Kimmienemo I also have a large collection  of dep glass from my mother  :)  that I have added to I love the Elegant glass. Glad I could help glass can be really hard to track & research but am happy to help when I can!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:46:21 am »
Yes the colors are remarkable!  As a kid growning up, my mom used to collect green depression glass.  I often noticed that many of the pieces had this strange hue - especially in the areas of dense glass.  After my father died, my mother moved to a smaller place and told me that I could have her collection.  I had always loved the Tiffin vase, but didn't know much about it.  When I started researching, I found out about the uranium dioxide and immediately went out and bought a black light!  (Had a momentary 60's flash-back  ;))  Not only did the Tiffin vase glow, but so did most of her other pieces.  I still have a couple of others to check. . . but so far . . . we are spot-on!

Again, thank you so much for the insight.  It has been invaluable!
... Not only did the Tiffin vase glow, but so did most of her other pieces.......In that case perhaps you should invest in a Geiger Counter......you never know!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:52 am »
Bigwull the chocolate bar sounds yummm  :)    Kimmienemo I also have a large collection  of dep glass from my mother  :)  that I have added to I love the Elegant glass. Glad I could help glass can be really hard to track & research but am happy to help when I can!!
yes i know....thats one of the reasons i,m now 20st.+.... ;D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:27:25 am »
Bigwull The uranium content of Vaseline glass is often on the order of  2 % by weight. BUT , the uranium content of some glass manufactured in the early 1900s, reached as high as 25 %. Will I glow in the dark from collecting so much uranium glass not yet but I will keep you posted  :) I have read that A very detailed analysis of the radiation exposures due to uranium in glassware can be found in the Nuclear Regulatory Commission publication “Systematic Radiological Assessment of Exemptions for Source and Byproduct Materials” (NUREG 1717).   (Just the name gives me a headache!!)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:34 am »
For many years during the cold war....i used to worry,that if the sh*t ever did hit the fan...we would be one of the first to "glow"in the dark...as we live less than a mile from....what used to be an American Missile tracking station...and if anything was going to go first...it would have been that...then us,,,,but now that its closed down...we can sleep more easily....see link to my home village and surrounding area,

http://website.lineone.net/~ronald.h.miller/edzell.htm