Author Topic: Acid-Etched Cameo Vases  (Read 5827 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Acid-Etched Cameo Vases
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:49 pm »
What are these estate sales??..over here in UK...if you buy something thats s/h then it yours for ever more...the only exception being.if it was found to be faulty....then you would get a refund..or a credit note....depending on how the retailer saw it....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 05:56:05 pm »
Others can likely come up with a clearer explanation of an estate sale but basically the sell/auctioning off of a large amount of items from a property or estate. Generally, but not always, handled by professional and ethical (hopefully) auction agencies.  Sometimes it could be a combination of items from more than one home, in order to make the sale worthwhile.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »
Companies that handle estate sales usually do everything,, arranging, advertising, showing, and the final auctioning for a percentage of the sale !!  Some even do cleanup afterward !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »
Ghopper1924 so glad you got a full refund!! But honestly I wish I would have been wrong in a case like this :(  Love the Corning Museum (heaven on earth again yes it is ) The curator is wonderful and they are always very helpful!! This is a huge learning experience for all who read this post and what clues to look for in any  c1900 French Cameo glass. I have been studying glass for over 35 years and I could study for another 100 and still not know all!!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »
Bigwull - Sapphire's and Mart's explanations are right, but you are also correct in that they usually won't give refunds at all. In this case, however, they had represented the vases as being old when they were not. They could have fought me but chose to be professional about it. Also, it probably helps that MsGhopper and I are longstanding customers.

Wendy - Thanks for the kind and thoughtful words. It was indeed wonderful to deal with the Corning Museum, and fascinating to go through their collection. Such amazing things!

It's really been a learning experience, and happily one that ended well. One of the vases we bought was a genuine Galle, and the differences between it, as far as the more earthy colors and the skill in rendering leaves and flowers, and the new cameo vases was quite evident, although perhaps not from a picture.

So we got a Galle at a bargain! Who wouldn't love that?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford