Author Topic: Dusty Old Bear  (Read 1882 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Dusty Old Bear
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:50 am »
My wife has a great many Teddy Bears most of which came from the eighties. That was the revival era for bears where Muffy and family were born along with Bialosky and others. (She has the original Muffy and Bialosky) Most of those bears were made as collectibles and were jointed with hard bodies. Steiff, of course, being the benchmark.
 I was at a yard sale and found this one who I named Dusty, because he is. He was in an old wrinkled plastic bag. He is plush, jointed and his fur appears to be a cotton fiber. His eyes are very real looking glass and his nose is stitched. He measures around 6 inches tall seated.
There are no tags and he has no paw pads. The older woman that sold him to me said that she brought him form Europe. Questionable. She told my wife the following day he came from Australia. Very questionable. My guess is he came from Woolworth's or was a carnival/boardwalk prize in the 60s. Any idea? All I know is that most plush toys are not jointed today and most jointed toys are not plush. Am I right?

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Dusty Old Bear
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:59 am »
No way carnival/boardwalk prize from the 60s see post http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=11998.0  enlarge photo and that is how eyes were done for carnival/boardwalk prizes not glass eyes, so that rules out one!  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:14 am »
has the typical Steiff face !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:46 am »
His standing height would give us a better indication....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:33:34 am »
Actually that looks like the mass produced bears I bought in quantity about six years ago. Tap on the eyes to determine if they are plastic.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:50:24 pm »
I think you are right Tales. Looking at my own picture and seeing though the dirt I agree.  I have an early 1900's bear here that is completely hairless. I am putting him in the "what is my favorite antique" thread. He has shoes button eyes. This guys are plastic like you said.  He is going with the next charity donation to receive some more premature aging. I will try to clean him first. Any tips on that?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:27:57 pm »
stick him in the washing machine on a cool wash...he,ll come out looking brand new....fit for any charity shop... :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
try carpet cleaner spray and a terry cloth !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »
dinna listen to Mart...carpet cleaner spray might contain harmful chemicals that might be bad fur wee bears....he,ll come oot braw and clean after a warm wash...trust me...i don,t know what i,m talking about ;D