Author Topic: Old woodworking tool?  (Read 1410 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Old woodworking tool?
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:33 pm »
This was given to me today and I am not quite sure what it is or was used for.

It measures 9 1/2" long, 3 1/2" wide and 1 3/4" high.   The blade measures 7 1/4" long and the wooden wedge measures 6 1/4" long

The only mark on one end is a number 8 and on the other end it says W. Davidson  then something else that I can't make out - looks like 3 characters and then in very small print the word Willinglaw.

I am not even sure what way the wedge is supposed to sit but if it is turned flush against the blade, it allows the blade to move in and out.  If it is placed with the curved end facing the blade, it kind of locks it in.

As always, any information about use, age, etc. is always appreciated.

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Old woodworking tool?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:07:12 pm »
Just a couple more pics.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »
Nice little old moulding plane , kidden !

Looks as if it came from the time when carpenters & cabinetmakers commonly hand-machined their dust-catchers & such .

Normally , the unindexed plane iron ('blade') would be assembled with the ground (sharpened) portion of the blade facing towards the 'front' of the plane .
The wooden wedge should fit into it's tenon in the plane body (wood) with the rounded top's 'notch' facing towards the front o' your cool little plane .

I'd give an educated guess that yours was made in the 1870's or before .

Although the use of such plane designs (except made from steel & etc) are still in use by some , these little guys were a chore to keep aligned when working some woods ... the wedge can only take so much pressure before it slips or locks the iron in an undesired position .

A tool for the patient & alert woodworker , IMO !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:06:21 am »
kidden, a cabinetmaker might have had up to a dozen or so of those type planes, each one designed for a specific task. Some were in matched “pairs”, with one for cutting the mortise and the other for cutting the matching tenon.

The wife's g-father had a complete set of them which he used from say 1902 up until he retired from cabinetmaking. He made caskets and furniture for people.

Like your 3rd picture shows, the maker’s name is stamped in the end of the plane. Collectors try to acquire as many “different” types as they can. 

This picture I found via Google “images”.