Author Topic: information on large bronze please.  (Read 10344 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: information on large bronze please.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:05 am »
My only advice is to take your time, and do enough research to feel confident with what you have before you offer it up for sale.
I was always intent on turning merchandise for a profit as quickly as possible, and let many good things pass through my hands. (I shan't bore you again with the tale of my own $684,000 mistake, other than to say once again: Take your time!)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
We have a sayin up here in Scotland...thems wa come fae Newcastle...are jist Scotsman wi there heids kicked in...and them that come fae a bit further sooth like Yorkshire....well there something different a the gither....and if yer wantin tae gae oot fur a bevvy...then sty away fae thon Tetley pish...yer better drinkin the wee Dumps...or Barley wine as its called doon there,...but if ye gang up tae the hills,an dales  aroond..Skipton way...then ye,d better tak a dictionary wi ya,cause ye,ll never unnerstan wit there sayin.....and I know what i,m talking about,as i used to go to Giggleswick every year...as a good friend of mine...used to live there...me and my mate Ian would get a bus to Leeds, then from Leeds to Keighley and get off at Giggleswick....and the first time we went down...we got the right bus...and it stopped at Skipton for a 10/15min break....just enough time for a cup of stewed tea and a bacon butty....when we came out of the cafe...the bloody bus was gone LOL!...with our bags and the rest of our money...we ran to the Police station....and told the Bobby that was there ,what had happened...and asked him, could he jump in his Panda car and go after the bus...
He looked at us,as if we had twa heids each...and said...A Panda car?...nae Panda,s here lad...i,ve only got me pushbike....
we eventually got to Giggleswick and phoned the bus company...and we got our bags back when the bus came by the next day.....those were the days....my friend....we thought they,d never end! :D :D

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 10:49:24 am »
My only advice is to take your time, and do enough research to feel confident with what you have before you offer it up for sale.
I was always intent on turning merchandise for a profit as quickly as possible, and let many good things pass through my hands. (I shan't bore you again with the tale of my own $684,000 mistake, other than to say once again: Take your time!)
What do you mean,bore us again....we,re new here and we,ve never heard the story...I love hearing Boring stories,.....especially ones...where i know i,m going to fall off my seat at the end.....Sorry Rauville.....its a part of human nature..... ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »
The reason you are not finding an "original" could be that there isn`t one !! Even though he probably did work on the first one all the rest were simply copies with little difference between them !! Mythological figures seem to be what he did most !! The three graces have been done by more artists and sculptors than you can count !!  This is simply his rendition of the original sculpture !! Things like this were usually done in a series of pieces !! If you notice some of his works also have brass plaques which I think are later runs that he may have contracted to a foundry rather than doing them himself !! It is possible that this was done in the first series since it lacks the plaque but if it didn`t sell well,, he would move on to other types since items like this were one source of income !!  Sometimes it helps to think in terms of a business !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »
Well said (typed) Mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 01:09:08 pm »
my one finger typing is getting better !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 04:06:21 pm »
OK, I need to hear about this $684K mistake.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
That,ll teach you Rauville........now repeat after me..."bigwull says" .."I must keep my big gob shut".......
we,re waiting with eager anticipation....if you don,t want tell all again...then a "pm"...will do.... ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »
And I'm still sitting here gobsmacked that I was able to read ALL of that but kept getting tripped up on Giggleswick. Dear god I couldn't live there and tell anyone with a straight face.

Jacqueline, getting that expert opinion (reputable expert that is) is your next step. We often see copies and copies of copies, but when you come across a near duplicate of the one, but no more........that's when you want to take the time to find out exactly what it is you have. You've got to keep us posted on your 'journey'!!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 04:55:29 pm »
That,ll teach you Rauville........now repeat after me..."bigwull says" .."I must keep my big gob shut".......
we,re waiting with eager anticipation....if you don,t want tell all again...then a "pm"...will do.... ;D

Rather than confuse this topic, I just cut and pasted that tale in the "Special Threads..." section.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »
Had to bump this up after reading your update !!  A metalcasting forum is not one that would have any idea about an art piece !! Take your piece to a gallery or at least someone that knows what it is !!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:31:25 pm by mart »