Author Topic: Another wooden trinket  (Read 2705 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Another wooden trinket
« on: September 28, 2012, 02:35:54 pm »
This is another trinket box I got in my freebies a few weeks ago.  So what I have learned from everyone here is that I believe this is folk art - would fit as a treen box.  So far so good??   :D  This is a smaller box with diameter of 3 1/2" and height of 2" including the little knob on lid.

As you can see it looks as if the label on the back was ripped off on top so all I have been able to make out is "Cooperative Bucuresti"  I can't quite make out the middle except for "arta" and anything that is written on it or was it faded like crazy.

I have come to the conclusion that this was made in Bucharest but am wondering if anyone might know how old this is and whether anyone might know what the full label might have said (long shot I know).  The glaze is pretty crazed but not sure on wood if that is any indication of age.  The label would say not so old.

Thoughts?

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Another wooden trinket
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:38:23 pm »
Sorry just realized I posted the same pic twice - my apologies

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:10:26 pm »
The word cooperative means that this would have been made and sold within a group of artist,carpenters sculptors..or anyone that had a skill,they would pool their resources together, and share a studio,and basically create works, that could be sold as souvenirs...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:46:54 pm »
Thanks Bigwull!!  That gave me enough information to find the actual cooperative in Bucharest.   I have e-mailed them to see if they can offer an age or any other information.

If you would take a guess, how old do you think this might be?  I know it isn't antique - thinking maybe 70's?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »
It,ll definitely have been made during the Soviet era,...judging by the cracked glaze...this was probably coated in a shelac...which is a type of varnish that dries to a mirror finish....but through time it takes on the appearance of eggshell crazing...i would hazard a guess and cover my ass by putting it somewhere between 60,s/70,s  :D..give or take

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »
LOL  was thinking the same - for me like yesterday but I try to remember still about 50 years old - what does that mean??? :o

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:52:39 pm »
Ok now I have another question - in looking around I have found a few similar boxes - similar in lid style - folk art - wood carved - and there are a few I have found that have been described as "salt boxes".  Could that have been a use for this?

Any little box with a lid is automatically a "trinket" box to me because I can never imagine it being used for something else  LOL

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 05:59:04 pm »
....yes these could have been used for salt...providing the interior is,nt varnished..here,s one of a few that,s on ebay..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-olive-wood-salt-or-mustard-pot-with-lid-/221129389977?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item337c56b799.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:01:45 pm »
Thanks Bigwull - ok inside is definitely varnished so its back to "trinket" box   ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »
Thanks Bigwull - ok inside is definitely varnished so its back to "trinket" box   ;D
my peepers are closing and its now 01.03...and i,m off to my scratcher.... ;D...KC...google it ha ha,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:45 pm »
I know it's not an antique - 70s is a good guess - but it has a charming, early 20th century arts and crafts appearance and is really appealing!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford