Author Topic: Age of Mirror Frame?  (Read 4129 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Age of Mirror Frame?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 07:50:22 pm »
Mmmm,,, cant get the pics to enlarge !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »
"the 2-piece back(er) board."

Although single piece backing boards are the norm for this time period, I don't see that a date ca. 1870s and a 2-piece backer board have to be mutually contradictory. The frame is clearly Renaissance Revival with no incipient Eastlake influence. 1870s.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 04:01:51 am »
Given the "square" brad and the fact it was for a dresser I will now agree with your date.

I use to have several pounds of "square" cut nails, from 3/4" up to 8", that I saved from my remodeling of an 1862 2-story farm house.

They came in handy when I got into refinishing old furniture and "repo'ing" old items.

A trivia "note" about "cut" or "square" nails. With their "square" flat end, they actually "cut" through the grain of the wood and thus are less likely to cause the wood to "split" like a "round" sharp pointed wire nail will. 

That is the reason that many of the "concrete" and "flooring" nails are still being made "square-cut".

If you ever tried to install a tongue-n'-groove oak floor using round nails you would have a lot of grief.   ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 04:51:09 am »
Given the "square" brad and the fact it was for a dresser I will now agree with your date.

I use to have several pounds of "square" cut nails, from 3/4" up to 8", that I saved from my remodeling of an 1862 2-story farm house.

They came in handy when I got into refinishing old furniture and "repo'ing" old items.

A trivia "note" about "cut" or "square" nails. With their "square" flat end, they actually "cut" through the grain of the wood and thus are less likely to cause the wood to "split" like a "round" sharp pointed wire nail will. 

That is the reason that many of the "concrete" and "flooring" nails are still being made "square-cut".

If you ever tried to install a tongue-n'-groove oak floor using round nails you would have a lot of grief.   ;D ;D
When using round wire nails...you can stop them from splitting the wood...if you dull the point by using a hammer..to flatten the point...then this nail will not split the wood...however...th is method whilst it will always work with soft woods...Hard woods, can be difficult....that is why, when i,used to work with hard woods, i would drill a pilot hole first.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 07:34:16 am »
Thanks for all the help! I'm hooked on the search for antique's so I'll be around for a while!

Regards,
Charlie